View Single Post
Old 26 Oct 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

I get very sea sick. I’ve heard so many people say you don’t get sick on the big ships, you don’t even feel them move etc. But I do.
My first cruise was Caribbean in early 2000s on a decent size ship, over 100,000 tonnes.
We had dinner, went to the bar and suddenly I felt so, so sick. Hubby said you can’t feel sick, we haven’t even left yet, turns out it was about 10 mins after leaving port. I thought what on earth have I done getting on a cruise? Spent the night over the toilet, slept then took sturgeron every 8 hours for the entire week. Felt a bit spaced out but never felt sick again.
Second cruise, Alaska 2005. Ship was a bit smaller, just under the 100,000 tonnes. Started taking Sturgeron the day before the cruise and took it every 8 hours for the week. Inside passage up to Alaska was so smooth, scenery amazing, whales, seals etc - I felt great, loved cruising and thought I’d cracked it. Then day 7, oh boy! Even my hubby (who doesn’t get seasick) was sick, we both spent the day ill, in fact the whole ship was sick - apparently we were going full speed down the Pacific Ocean and it was rough!
We got off that ship saying never ever again.
It’s taken 15 years but we felt ready to try again with the kids on a Disney cruise. Booked out of Miami rather than Port Canaveral as I read even in good weather the sea can be rolling out of PC.
Definitely do some research. You can’t do anything about the exact whether you’ll have but you can minimise risk by avoiding certain seas, and times of year. I’d never sail the bay of biscay or go to the Caribbean in hurricane season for example.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List