View Single Post
Old 15 Feb 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

so i'm still making pizza regularly using the ooni, even when theres snow outside. i really want to get the covered cooking area sorted by summer, last night it was raining while i was cooking. but at least the rain got rid of the last of the snow, which had been hanging around all week!

i'm still trying to master 16" pizzas. and i think im nearly there! last night i used 320g dough balls. i got 15", so next time im trying 350g...

this was 65% hydration, and ended up doing a cold bulk ferment for 4 days. i made it on wednesday lunchtime, with the intention of doing a cook on either friday or saturday, but we had sat bains on friday, and pea mix/battered sausage on saturday (quick chippy tea, as i'd been busy sorting stuff)

so in a measuring jug i mixed:
650ml warm water
7g sachet instant yeast
1 tsp sugar

stirred, and left for 20 mins to get nice and frothy

then in the mixing bowl i had:
1kg caputo blue 00 flour
1 tbsp salt

i mixed on slow, and added in the jug of frothy yeast water slowly and mixed for around 10 minutes until it formed a cohesive ball of dough. i then added a glug of EVOO and mixed for another minute or so, covered with clingfilm and dropped into the fridge till the day of use.

on sunday morning i got it out and balled it up. i got 2* 320g, 2*275g and 2*230g. i put three in my proofing tray, and the other three in containers back in the fridge for another night. our kitchen is cold, so i put the proofing tray on the dining room table where it was around 18-21c until i was ready to cook.

tomato sauce... ive started using jars of MUTTI when im being lazy, it is by far the best jar pizza sauce available, but today i used a pack of chopped tomatoes (with onion and garlic in), half a tube of tomato puree, a teaspoon of sugar, a good sprinkling of cornish salt&pepper, and a lot of dried oregano (2 tbsp? maybe more)... cooked it down for about 15 mins to reduce the water content, then got the potato masher out and squished the chunks. decant into a jar and leave to cool

toppings... i had a massive bag of shredded mozzarella from costco i wanted to try (it was like £4 for a kilo of it in the fridge/freezer section. arlo pro brand if i remember right. i also had some low moisture block mozzarella i needed to use, so i sliced it, and then just broke into small chunks

i then got a tub full of random toppings out the freezer... there was some spicy (lao gan ma) black bean and chilli pork mince, some chopped up precooked cooking bacon, some olives, and some sliced up swedish meatballs. and and a pack of salami from asda or somewhere. oh, and some finely grated parmesan on top

as i ALWAYS have (at least) one more dough ball than i actually need in case of failure, i then threw the rest of the toppings i had left onto the third pizza, and only cooked it long enough for the dough to firm up. maybe 45-60 seconds? it then cooled on a wire rack, before going on a tray and into the freezer for 45 mins before sticking into a large ziploc bag with the air squished out, and back into the freezer for another night

when its time to eat it, i let it defrost on the counter for an hour or two, brush the crust with a little garlic and herb olive oil, then into the normal oven for ~5 mins to finish it off

here's a couple i did earlier that i reheated in the oven. ..
now i know i can do this, i'm never buying supermarket frozen pizza ever again! it also opens up the possibility of takeaway for friends

Edited at 11:56 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List