View Single Post
Old 26 Nov 18, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Day 2 ~ Tusker House, Starbucks, Kusafiri Bakery, Food Cart, Pizzafari, Satuli Canteen

Day 2 ~ Tusker House, Kusafiri Bakery, Pizzafari and Satuli Canteen

So this morning was breakfast at Tusker House, we were a little late to our reservation but were seated fairly quickly. This is a character meal experience and a buffet. The characters were already on their way round and our server said we’d be best waiting for food as Mickey would be here in a couple of tables. He came and brought us jungle juice which is AMAZING! I’m gutted we can’t get it back home, I alone drank about 5 glasses

Jungle Juice - Passionfruit, Orange and Guava juice

After Mickey arrived I went to get mine and Noah's breakfast and Caitlin came with me. I decided not to take Noah with me and just put some things on his plate as he's so fussy. Anything that doesn't look like it normally does i.e. round sausages he won't eat 🙄 this was our plates:

Noahs

Mine

Caitlin

This was my first try of a Mickey waffle and it didn't disappoint it was lovely. It was a little dry as for some reason I couldn't find any syrup, but it was still crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I had bacon and ham which were also really nice. I think the egg thing I got was an omelette, it was ok, I found it a little too runny for me, I'm a bit fussy with eggs. The tater tots were lovely and crispy too. I really enjoyed this plate and I think I even went up for more bacon and Mickey waffles.

Everyone enjoyed their plates. Chris thought it was weird they had curry for breakfast, but none of us could bring ourselves to try, it just felt so wrong

Next up our lovely server brought Caitlin and I birthday cakes and candle each and a card signed by all the characters which was a lovely touch

I gave my cake to Noah. I got one final plate of food, I wanted to try the banana bread pudding and I got some grapes for Noah and a Mickey waffle for Chris as he'd forgot to get one. The banana bread pudding was lovely, just wish I'd saved more room for it, I had the custard on it too.

All the food in here was lovely, everything was hot and fresh and the character interaction was fab. I've heard a fair few bad reviews about Tusker House but it was one of our best meals. We would definitely recommend it.

We used 5 TS meals for this.

Starbucks

We headed to Starbucks as Caitlin wanted to try a 'Unicorn Frappuccino', thankfully they said they don't make them I've seen pictures online and I think Caitlin would have been in a sugar coma after one of those!

Instead we got a chocolate chip frappuccino and a caramel cream frappuccino for us all too share. There's not much to say about these are they're pretty much the same as the ones we get at home, they were nice and refreshing as it was getting really hot by now.

We used 2 snack credits for this.

Kusafiri Bakery

Caitlin and I went a queued for the 'Elephant Ear Pastry' at Kusafiri Bakery whilst Chris took photos

This was really nice but it was huge! Caitlin loved how bit it was so wanted a photo with it to show how big it was. This was a snack credit which I think is a fab use of a credit. We all shared it and really enjoyed it.

We used 1 snack credit for this.

Serka Zong Bazaar

Whilst Chris and Thomas were on Expedition Everest we decided to get a bottle of pop to share as we were all thirsty by this point. Somehow the CM managed to charge this to the room instead of using a snack credit, I rectified this later in the day when we returned to the resort.

This was 1 snack credit

Kali River Rapids Food Cart

Next up we were a little peckish after our Kali River Rapids ride so we popped to the kiosk just outside to get 2 to share. Caitlin and I enjoyed these although I thought it was a bit too salty, Chris and the boys weren't too keen. Noah was ok if I took the salt crystals off. The cheese dip was also lovely and the best part about it ... no one else liked it so I had it all to myself!

This was 2 snack credits

Pizzafari

We had a reservation at Pizzafari for the kid's at 5.15pm, I pre-ordered on the app and approached the CM's to see what I needed to do. Both CM's seemed very confused at what I was trying to say. I wanted to sit outside but we had pre-ordered. I didn't realise if you have a booking you need to order the 'family style food. We just ordered Caitlin and Thomas a meal as they wouldn't eat anything from Satuli. They directed me to the next CM indoors, who again struggled with what I was saying. I stated that I had already pre-ordered and we were only ordering kid's meals, no adult meals. She directed me to a queue to order

I got really frustrated at this point and went to the mobile order queue as I could see our order was sat there waiting. We then headed outside to eat.

Thomas - Kid's Cheese Pizza -
served with a side of Grapes, Carrot Sticks and choice of small Lowfat Milk or small Dasani® Water -
$7.19 He opted for grapes and water

Caitlin - Mickey Pasta with Turkey Marinara Sauce - served with a side of Grapes, Carrot Sticks and choice of small Lowfat Milk or small Dasani® Water. Meets Disney Nutrition Guidelines for Complete Meals without substitutions - $6.69

Caitlin had a bit of whinge about the sauce. Before she ordered we'd told her marinara sauce is basically like pasta sauce. She complained when it came as it had actual tomatoes in not sure what you think tomato sauce is made of She ate it in the end and said she enjoyed it. Thomas never said much about his but he ate about 3/4s of it. We later found out he didn't like it when he proceeded to throw it up just as we were about to sit down to FOP

We never tried the food but I think it may have had a bit too much tomato on for Thomas and that's why he didn't like, looking at the pictures it looks like a lot of tomato. I wouldn't mind going back to try for ourselves sometime. Noah had the grapes.

This was 2 QS credits

Pongu Pongu

Coming off FOP I decided to grab a Night Blossom as there was hardly any queue and I'd been dying to try it.

Night Blossom - Non-Alcoholic Specialty Beverage - layers of Apple and Desert Pear Limeade topped with Passion Fruit Boba Balls - $5.99

This was beautiful and so refreshing, we all (except Thomas) really enjoyed this. The balls are such a burst of flavour and the slush was lovely. In hindsight we probably could have done with 2 of these between us all! Thomas did get to try it later in the holiday and he loved it.

Satuli Canteen

I had already pre-ordered on the app, I love this function as it makes ordering so much easier I think and great to do in queues when waiting. You place the order and then when you arrive you click 'prepare my order' and they make it fresh. It comes off your DDP options too so no need to faff with that. We ordered:

Cheeseburger Steamed Pods - Bao Buns
Steamed Cheeseburger Pod stuffed with Ground Beef, Ketchup, Mustard, Pickle, and Cheddar Cheese served with Crunchy Vegetable Slaw and Vegetable Chips
- $11.49

Dreamwalker Sangria Refreshing White Sangria with a hint of Blue Curaçao - $10

Now I wanted to love these after all the reviews but with Thomas being sick and Caitlin still playing up I think it impacted on my opinion of the food sadly. I just thought they were strange, the softness of the dumpling, I expected it to be a bit more firm? I wasn't too keen on the chips either. All in all a disaster meal for me, Chris tried them and said they were ok. I also didn't rate the cocktail I thought it tasted of mouthwash I drank most of it as I certainly needed a drink

Slow-Roasted Sliced Grilled Beef Bowl*-
Slow-Roasted Sliced Grilled Beef marinated in a blend of Garlic, Herbs, Red Pepper Spice, and Red Wine Vinegar topped with Crunchy Vegetable Slaw and Boba Balls served with your choice of Base and Sauce. *This item contains raw or undercooked ingredients. Consuming raw or undercooked meats, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness.- $13.99

Chris opted for the potato hash and herb dressing again he wasn't too keen on this although he ate more than I did. He enjoyed the beef but wasn't keen on the dressing or the hash which I'm surprised at as Chris tends to be more adventurous than me with food. He said he wished he'd opted for rice instead.

Noah had:

Cheese Quesadilla -Cheddar and Mozzarella Cheese in a Tortilla served with Vegetable Chips and Grapes and small Dasani® Bottled Water or Lowfat Milk- $6.49

Noah really enjoyed this and Thomas had a little bit too. It was just a wrap toasted with cheese but they enjoyed it and that's all that matters. It was enough for the 2 of them to share too as after the first one Noah was getting fed up of it.

We had also ordered this for dessert

Blueberry Cream Cheese Mousse - Blueberry Cream Cheese Mousse with Passion Fruit Curd - $5.29

Chris enjoyed this more than I did, I'm not too keen on cream cheese in a dessert. Noah loved the white chocolate on the top

Overall this wasn't a great meal for us. I don't think it was down to the restaurant I think it was just down to our personal tastes, plus being tired and having Caitlin playing up really stressed us out and I think that impacted on our views. I would probably give this another try next time but maybe only order something to share as so much food got wasted, I felt it was such a waste.

This was 3 QS credits

Snacks: 8 USED - 129 LEFT
QS Credits:5 USED- 55 LEFT
TS Credits: 5 USED - 65 LEFT

Edited at 08:04 PM.
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List