View Single Post
Old 23 Jan 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile New York surprise-our boy is 21 !

This trip was booked on a bit of a whim which really isn’t like me ! Our son William will be 21 in February. He really isn’t in to “stuff” so the best plan was to go away somewhere. I hate surprises but have been convinced by husband not to tell either him or his sister ( she wouldn’t keep quiet !) until the morning we go. Obviously he knows he is going away to book a week off work, we have told him it will be cold ( he probably doesn’t realise how cold !) So he will open his birthday present in the morning and off we go !

Chose New York because he has always loved Spiderman and Home Alone movies. We had also brought $700 home from Florida last year which was a big help with spends.

Think we have a good deal but I have realised just how expensive NY is.

Flights with Virgin MAN to JFK landing at 1.30pm at £293 economy classic booked via Netfights. Wary of booking via third party but good up to now.

We are all in work/school so won’t be able to set off to the premier inn Manchester Runger North until at least 7. Room booked for £36.50.

Friday morning will be Happy Birthday and straight off to the airport. Parking booked at Terminal 2 multi storey 6 nights for
£52. Booked undercover due to going in February. Will probably eat at Frankie and Bennys.

We hopefully ( barring any weather delays) will land at 1.30 and we will brave the airtrain to Jamaica and then metro to Penn Station.

Staying in a junior suite at the Broadway Plaza. Chosen primarily because I have read good Dibb reports, the rooms appear large by NY standards and there are 3 separate beds. We don’t plan on being in the hotel much and although not ideal we don’t find sharing an issue.
[

The rooms seem quite spacious

The hotel also provides a free basic continental breakfast and 24 hour Starbucks. I will take porridge pots with us to supplement the breakfast.

I have already purchased a 10 attraction Sightseeing Pass for $175 each. Personally I think it is too many but husbands choice and he has never shown any interest in planning/ booking a holiday before so I have given in.

Empire State Building booked just before the Sightseeing Pass stopped accepting it. Hoping to do this on the first evening in his birthday.

Arranged a guide from Big Apple Greeters for our first morning. A bit nervous to be honest. We are quite a quiet reserved family and I hope it goes ok.

Second day I have the Statue of Liberty Crown tickets booked. I had intended losing weight to help with the climb up those stairs but it doesn’t seem to have happened !

Have the Ulmon app which I have found amazing for the planning. With going in the winter I have arranged things in to areas and will decide on the day what we are doing depending on the weather.

All I need to do now is stock up on the thermals and hand warmers !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List