View Single Post
Old 13 May 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by liz-paul View Post
And now second question

How does this sound for a rough itinerary for our time in San Diego:

Day 1: am in La Jolla, Afternoon whale watching (nr Seaworld), check in to SD hotel

Day 2: San Diego Zoo

Day 3: Balboa Park, USS Midway, some exploring/sightseeing of downtown/city centre or similar (not really sure what here)

Day 4: Flexible day to do a water park or more sightseeing or something else.

Day 5: Old Town in the am before heading back up to LAX for an evening flight, maybe stopping in Carlsbad or somewhere else en route for a break...

Days 2-4 can all be interchanged to do in a different order.

Any thoughts on my plans so far?

Thanks again

Hi liz-paul I think your itinerary looks really good! I don't see any big issues there, it looks well planned overall. If you want any help with any loose ends, here are some thoughts...

On day 3, you are thinking of doing some sightseeing around downtown after the USS Midway. There are a few things to see within a short walking distance from the Midway. I would suggest leaving your car in the Midway's parking lot. When you come off the Midway, walk out to the main boardwalk where the ship is docked. If you turn left, the San Diego Maritime Museum is a short distance away. You will notice it by the large sailing vessel with masts there called the Star of India. The Maritime Museum is a collection of historic ships and subs which you can tour for a fee- or just take some pics of from the boardwalk if the tour doesn't interest you. If you go to the right from the Midway, you will see the iconic Kissing Statue and Bob Hope tribute that is set up between the Midway and the Fish Market restaurant. Keep heading down the boardwalk and you will go past Tuna Harbor where the fishing boats dock up, and then you will eventually end up in Seaport Village, which is a complex of shops and dining along the bay. It's a nice place to stroll about and pick up some San Diego souvenirs, if you so desire. There is a Ben and Jerry's ice cream shop and a Wetzel's Pretzels stand in Seaport Village that are favorites of mine for a snack break.

I would consider doing the whale watching tour (or the water park if it's open that day) on day 1 before you go to your hotel in San Diego, and saving Sea World for day 4 where you have left a flexible day in. Sea World in San Diego isn't as big a park as the one in Orlando, but it is the original park and still has a lot to offer. They have recently added two new rollercoasters (one of them opens at the end of this month). Sea World is more of a day-long park, so best to see it when you have more of a full day to spare.

Keep asking questions if you need any further advice! I don't mind at all.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List