View Single Post
Old 29 Jul 16, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Quebec 2016 - On y va LIVE - Day 0 travel day

The alarm went off at 4am. It quite surprised me as I usually sleep terribly when I know that we need to get up. But I slept like a log.

DH and I each showered then dragged the kids out of bed. To be honest they were up and ready in remarkably quick time.

My usual "have we locked up" followed as the taxi pulled up. We decided to take a taxi as it was 60€ as opposed to parking of €250! MIL will pick us up for the return (5am was a bit early for her!)

We had checked in online and despite not pre-reserving our seats we were seated together - but in the middle. I managed to move us forward to two sets of two by the window.

Drop of was remarkably efficient and we were through security without any issues.

Breakfast was a necessity - but slim pickings at our local airport. Chocolatines it is then. I only managed one bite - DH finished mine off. The coffee was good though.

We headed through passport control and then, as modern families do, we all sat with our heads stuck towards our phones!

We were flying Lufthansa on a A321. It was pretty full. What can I say - we took off 10minutes late, arrived on time and I would have dozed if F hadn't asked me 999 inane questions. Sitting next to DS is usually a better option but he and I can wind each other up on a plane!

There was a snack but we declined and just had a drink.

Frankfurt Airport rates as my least favourite. We chose the earlier flight here as last year at LHR we had to run to get our connection. On time though we have 5 hours to fill. We are currently sitting in McDonald's - the choice of where to sit is very limited.

But the cappuccino was good and actually cheap - €1.90.

The kids are going to gave lunch shortly. Best to feed them on the ground.

A healthy lunch for the kids - one veggie burger with fries for F (I had half her fries otherwise too many carbs) and filet-au-fish with fries for O. It filled a hole.

Cost was 14euros - not so bad for an airport lunch.

Gate up - and we have to get a bus. That should be fun with 250 passengers!

See you when we are there!

I honestly thought we were going to fly from Munich airport the time it took to get to the plane.

The flight seemed full. Our seats were fine - though I pitied the 6ft6 built like the proverbial house across the aisle who had the full time recliner in front of him. He could hardly move.

Films were good - I laughed a lot at the two Greek weddings and Eddie the Eagle.

Food was dire. Forgot to take any pictures - on mine I couldn't tell which was the dessert and which was the starter - both looked like beige slop and I didn't bother to try!

We landed about 20 minutes late at 16.25.

The immigration hall did not look like this (I wouldn't dare take a photo - memories of a man being humiliated in the queue at Boston 8 years ago is still firmly with me!)

However, for once the foreigners line was short and it was the Canadian one which snaked around. We were through in less than 15 minutes. However our bags took ages - another 40 minutes. At least
they all came this year.

We got the shuttle bus to our offsite car rental pick- up. No queue and no hard sell. $250 to add DH as a second driver. I knew about that though.

A Chevrolet Equinox - nice car with a reversing camera (yay! ) and built in satnav (even though we have our own it is a little outdated).

It took about 90 minutes to get to our destination.

After a quick pit stop to pick up breakfast supplies we were at the log cabin. It was lovely - 3 big bedrooms, clean and we were all happy as we collapsed in bed at 21.30.

Here's to a fab holiday.

Edited at 10:39 AM. Reason: Typos
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List