View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 17, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A Fairytale in New York Christmas 2016 - Day 10 City of BY Museum, Central Park and Home

The day started as usual with breakfast - it was a little quieter today. Maybe people were having a lie-in ready for tonight.

We had come with just two bags but realised that we really needed a third. We found there was a luggage shop two stops down the subway that opened at 9am. J and I left the kids (we were happy they would be ok and they really preferred to stay in the room watching films).

We were back within the hour with a new blue samsonite case. Packing was completed and we took them down to check out and leave the bags with reception. They tagged them and advised us the luggage room was secure and had a camera (I admit to being a bit paranoid! ).

We decided to go to the City of NY Museum on 5th Ave/103rd St. it was $28 to go in.

We liked the "what if" cards - quite thought provoking.

I made my building in Long Island City that scored highly

We also watched a very good film about the history and creation of NYC.

There were lots of really interesting exhibitions - on protests, Tiffany's, NYC past, present and future. It was also not very busy.

We had a sandwich lunch in their reasonably priced restaurant.

We really liked this museum - a variety of installations, easy to navigate and very informative. Well worth a visit.

It was about 1.30pm by now so we headed into Central Park to walk down to 53rd Street - only 50 blocks.

It was quite busy but not so much that it hindered you at all.

Some parts were deserted!

Though the skating rink was busy - just after I took this photo they let on a lot more people - some were very good. Others were like Bambi on skates!

This is the new Shopping List Memorial at the entrance. A little strange

By now it was 4.30pm so we headed back to the hotel.

We had tea/water and then got ready to leave. We had to walk about 10 minutes to a different subway to get the E line to Jamaica.

When we got on it, they suddenly changed it from an express to a local. Thankfully they changed it back!

40 minutes later we were at JFK via the Airtrain.

The Virgin flight to Heathrow took off on time. The Asian veggie meal was pretty dire. The crew were pleasant though.

I managed to sleep for a good few hours. I also managed to lose my glasses but the crew found them - phew!

We landed 15 minutes early and transferred from T3 to T5 for our BA flight home.

And we are now sitting in a quiet corner watching the clock for our 1pm flight.

I will do a round up in the next few days. Thanks to everyone for reading along!

Happy New Year!

Numbers of the day: Steps 26489 (for yesterday and today upto now)
Subway rides: 5

Edited at 01:01 PM.
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List