View Single Post
Old 31 Dec 17, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

SoCal Christmas 2017: Day 8 San Diego - La Jolla

The day started at about 6.30am - as usual we had toast, yoghurt and coffees for breakfast!

We went back and forth via imessage with David - J's old school friend. Menus were looked at and we agreed to meet up around 12 at a restaurant in La Jolla.

Figuring that parking may be at a premium, we left about 10ish via the petrol station and parked on the road (in the direction of the traffic ) near the tide pools. Whilst there were lots of signs about parking being limited to 2 hours none of these signs seemed to be on the stretch we were on. We asked an old gentleman who was walking past and he agreed that it should be ok!

We walked towards the coast - past the Museum of Contemporary Arts that had a cool boat structure on the outside!

This stretch of the coast is renown for its seals and sealions. They are very cute but they do stink!

There were definitely two distinct types!

I loved them all piled on top of each other!

There were also lots of pelicans!

When a flock were in flight it was a magnificent thing to see! Unfortunately I had left my proper camera in the apartment so had to make do with my iPhone!

I couldn't quite work out what this was... Interesting design though.

We were early at the restaurant (George's on the Cove) so put our name on the wait list and went for a Starbucks. O thought he had ordered a mocha frappucino but a green tea one turned up. It was actually very nice!

We went back at the time the restaurant told us and met David and his son there. There wasn't going to be a table for quite some time (another 45 minutes) so David and I played good cop (him), bad cop (me) and we managed to get one in the downstairs bit for 10 minutes later. I do like embarrassing my kids (I am firm and polite but won't stand for the it's only been 30 minutes when it has already been an hour! )

It worked in our favour as we got a table with this amazing view!

I had a quinoa burger - it was lovely! One of highlights (apart from chatting with David and his son!) was F trying and loving the guacamole - another food on her list!

If you are in La Jolla, it is a great restaurant. Mains were about $15 a head!

As we were sitting there we could see a fog move down the coast!

We walked through La Jolla to the tide pools. F would have stayed here for hours - we saw fish and anemones.

And this?

We parted company with David agreeing to meet up tomorrow. We drove the 15 minutes back to Pacific Beach. Whilst we really liked La Jolla we all agreed we preferred the reality of Pacific Beach!

As soon as we got back it was wetsuits on and down to the beach.

The fish body boarded - I read my kindle until the lifeguards ordered everyone out if the water. By then it was actually pretty nippy.

Back at the apartment, showers were had and we ate bits and bobs as we were all still full from the lovely lunch!

Harry Potter was watched and we were all too lazy to go out again! Even on a quiet day like this I have walked over 11km!

Edited at 06:39 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List