View Single Post
Old 3 Feb 17, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Day 1

Travel Day

We were travelling with BA, who had just swapped from the north to the south terminal at Gatwick the day before. To celebrate this momentous occasion, we were each given a gingerbread flight attendant at the check in desk!

We planned to have breakfast in the No 1 Lounge using the free passes I had with my Amex card but BA had been unable to open their new lounge because of safety issues, so had taken over most of the No 1 Lounge, which meant no room for walk ups.

Undeterred, we headed to Pret A Manger instead, where I got a granola yogurt thing and a water, while Sean had a bacon roll and a coffee. No photo as it was rammed and we had to stand where we could. Cost £6.98.

Once airborne the drinks trolley came round very quickly. No snacks were offered - looks like we're not the only ones on a budget, BA are it it too! Luckily we had our gingerbread men.

There were only two choices for lunch, vegetarian pasta or what the flight attendant referred to as "chicken and potatoes." Sean had the pasta and as I don't eat cheese I had the chicken. I'm not too keen on aeroplane chicken, so just ate the vegetables. Dessert was a pot of double chocolate salted caramel gooeyness. Nice but very sweet - a little went a long way.

Afternoon tea was served about 90 minutes before landing. It was the standard BA offering of chicken caesar sandwiches and a teeny weeny KitKat.

We checked in at Saratoga Springs and headed straight to the Artist's Palette for a refillable mug plus some milk for our room. These cost $23.09.

After dropping off our bags in our studio and a quick freshen up we headed back to the Artist's Palette, where we shared an Italian beef sandwich, which was really tasty. It came with chips and cost $11.28.

Washed down with a couple of soft drinks in the mug this was plenty for our first night.

Total spent today £6.98 and $34.37