View Single Post
Old 25 Apr 20, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
I tried taking cuttings of my neighbours Chillean Potato vine, (potato plant?) its a beautiful purple flowering thingy, that trails over into our garden, so far, they are not fairing well! I dont think I am as green fingered as I thought.

I also have a baby tomato plant a kind person let me ‘adopt’ which I am treating like a pet, on the windowsill, its called very imaginatively ‘Tommy’
I've grown Wisteria plants and a passion flower from layered cuttings.
If your vine is overhanging enough to reach the ground I don't see why that wouldn't work the same way.
Here's how:
rhs.uk/advice/profile?pid=358
Or:
Using a pot about 10 inches tall, filled with a half sand/ half garden soil mixture (not compost)
Water it and cut half a dozen pencil thick pieces of stem about 12 inches long. (These are called half ripe cuttings)
Cut the top few leaves off.
Push the stems into the soil mix up to a leaf so the leaf is just touching the soil.
Pop the pot in a cool shady area in the garden and leave for a month or so.
You'll know if the cuttings have taken when you begin to see vigorous growth.
I've grown stems from roses from bouquets this way too. It's a lovely way to have a permanent reminder of special occasions
Or: take stem cuttings and pop them in a jar of water and pop them on your kitchen window sill but don't trim the top leaves off. If you're lucky they will grow roots.
Hope you can make sense of this lol

Edited at 11:46 PM.
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List