View Single Post
Old 27 May 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
Your terminology is somewhat inaccurate; there has been no 'ruling' as such. The term ruling implies that the matter has been considered by an authority and a decision was made. This, I believe, is not the case here. The online application form has been amended at some point; I believe this has happened as early as June 2018, though others have suggested October 2018. There has been no substantive decision on the matter, other than members of CBP advising members of the public that indeed their ESTA application should (now) include all first names and/or a middle name. What you refer to as an additional clarification has also been included on the online form as early as June 2018.
I would suggest that the position has clearly been considered and rulings made, be that during the crafting of the Travel promotion act of 2009, passing both houses, and signed into Law by Barack Obama which established the ESTA, or the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015 following the Paris attacks.

You're quite clear in suggesting that nobody with authority has considered the matter. That begs the question who you think decided to change it ? Only really leaving a scenario where "Dave" from IT just thought it would be better to get more info, which clearly is not the case.

I am really struggling to see the grounds on which you are being critical of ChrisS as for my money she would appear to be spot on. They are clarifying the rules, making sure everyone knows them before they start to enforce them.