View Single Post
Old 30 May 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs_Taz View Post
Don’t worry about the language barrier - most people we came across had some knowledge of English but even when they don’t it is amazing how much communication can be done with hands and nodding. My husband was laughing watching me “talking” to people on the busses in Kyoto.

The temple is called Toji Temple and the market is on the 21st of each month. There is also another one on the 15th of the month which I read has more handmade items which I would have liked to have gone to. Depending when you are there I think other temples have markets too.

I bought hand printed fabric, a handmade purse, lots of scraps of leather which had handmade printed on them (I will use them on my sewing). Pin cushions and some second hand bits and pieces like little pots. There are loads of second hand kimono stalls but I thought they smelt musty so didn’t buy one although I had planned to for using the fabric. I also bought Japanese wooden dolls (only the largest one in the photo was bought at the market

I love the dolls I will look out for some while we are there. Unfortunately we are only in Kyoto for one day on 5th so looks like we will miss the markets.

Thanks

Louise[/QUOTE]
The other two dolls were bought in a little second hand shop in Nara. The smallest was only 100 yen and the other 500 yen which I thought was cheap. It was just luck I spotted them on our way to a temple.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List