Old 7 Dec 17, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
WickedPlans
Imagineer

WickedPlans's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Be careful what you ask for.

Be very sure that your child's behaviour can't be managed and improved by more discipline and regimented approach to life.

Whilst these issues are real it is too easy to jump to ADHD and other issues nowadays.

For those that genuinely suffer from this they have my sympathies but for anyone reading thinking "Oh that would make queueing easier" please think twice. Once diagnosed with ADHD etc it stays with the child's medical records forever.

Whilst most doctors won't just say "yes, ADHD confirmed - next" if the case is borderline and you seem to be keen to have it diagnosed they will take a path of least resistance

Seems a large price to pay for a shorter queue
This really is nonsense.

ADHD/ASD are NEVER diagnosed as the path of least resistance. It's never a simple process to get a diagnosis, it takes numerous assessments and appointments. I know so many parents who have been left in that limbo of their child being borderline but not enough to diagnose. If they have any doubt, the default is to not diagnose.

All kids need discipline. Good discipline is not harsh or authoritarian. Routine is very helpful, a regimented approach to life sounds pretty dire.

Nobody gets a diagnosis because they think it will make queuing at theme parks easier.
A diagnosis is never "a price to pay" for anything. You make it sound like something that will negatively affect a child for the rest of their lives when that is not the case.
Easter 2010, Florida Pines Villa - Avoiding Disasters, Lessons in Autism: Trip Report
Easter 2012, Sunset Lakes Villa - No Rest for the Wicked: Trip Report
WickedPlans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List