View Single Post
Old 13 Aug 18, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Campinggirl
Very Serious Dibber

We're all going on a BEAR HUNT -RV Road Trip with the Kids - Vancouver to the Rockies - August 2018

I'm typing this pre-trip report the night before we head off to Heathrow airport for our fantastic adventure.

We actually booked the trip last September after a quick trip to Trailfinders and we had such a good deal that we snapped it up there and then and then didn't think much of it until quite recently.

There are four of us, I'm Rachel and I'm married to Simon we have 2 kids, Joe (12 ) and Phoebe (9). We like camping but camp in tents in the UK and have never hired an RV before so that's exciting but daunting!

Here are some pictures of us 'practicing' climbing Snowdon in May bank holiday this year.

We decided to fly into Vancouver and home from Calgary so we don't have to drive in a circle, we opted for Vancouver at the start of the trip as you are not allowed to pick up the RV for 48 hours after a Trans Atlantic flight lands and we felt there is more to do with kids in Vancouver than in Calgary.

That decision made the next thing to decide was the route - that was really tough and only finalised on Saturday! We have booked campsites for each night of the journey in advance. This is what we have settled on:

Days 1 and 2 Vancouver
Day 3-4 - pick up RV and Victoria (booked a whale watching tour)
Day 5-7 - Ucuelet for a bear watching tour
Day 8 - Whistler Village to have a look!
Day 9 Clear Water
Day 10-11 - Jasper
Day 12-13 - Lake Louise
Days 14 - 15 Banff
Day 16 Hand RV back and night in downtown Calgary.
Day 17 - fly home

In addition to the bear and whale watching we intend to horse ride and to canoe, we also want to see the Icefield Parkway.

I've packed the kids off tonight to my Mum's and am more or less packed, (although having just seen another dibber's pictures on the Ice Field Parkway I'm going to reconsider some warmer clothes!) We're staying at the Park Inn by Radisson at Heathrow tomorrow as the flight is quite early and we live in the Midlands.

Exciting times!
Campinggirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List