View Single Post
Old 28 Oct 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

I can't even imagine what you are going through but I understand these fears and I'm sure they are quite normal. My sister has mobility issues and uses a scooter in the US so some things I can comment on.
Originally Posted by Scooter McDuck View Post
Travel insurance and the crazy costs likely
So this really depends on what you are looking to cover. My sister uses CoverForYou insurance. Yes its more expensive to get your condition covered but there policy is reasonably priced so not too bad.

Getting to the airport
This will depend on who you are travelling with. It should be no different to getting anywhere really.

Getting on and off the plane and through airport
Special assistance at the airport I have found really good. They will arrange a wheelchair if needed and in Gatwick at least there is a dedicated security lane.

Managing 9.5hrs pretty much stuck in the airplane seat
Accessing the cramped loos
Can't really help with this. I guess you know your body and whether this is something you can cope with. My sister keeps her pain killers on track during flights as she has issues with pain.

Dealing with the heat and if that will be very different being unable to move from a wheelchair
I'd recommend a scooter in all honesty as I think the temperature and humidity make wheelchairs very uncomfortable. My sister hires one while over there and its a god send.

Accessing attractions
There is a disability guide map at every park which gives you details on the rides and what you need to do in terms of whether the wheel chair can go on, you have to transfer or its not accessible (which I think are only a few water rides at the water parks from what I remember). You don't need a DAS as your wheelchair will work as one so you would just go see a CM at the front and they will let you know the arrangements.

Accessing restaurants
All restaurants on property are wheelchair accessible.