Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Originally Posted by fiona88 View Post
You need to be pointing the opposite direction to the way you'd think, you want to see the colours on the canyon walls not the sunrise/sunset itself. So, for sunrise you want to be facing west and vice versa.
We went to Yaki Point for sunrise it's on the orange bus route.
Yavapai point is good for either as it sticks out a bit and supposedly desert view would be good for either but it's a long drive, think its about an hour from the village and no busses.
Here's a map of the south rim which will help, we also asked the bus driver and the information lady at our hotel.
images.saymedia-content/...im-map_nps.pdf

edit: we also stayed at Maswick, everything says it's a 15min walk to the rim just outside, its about a 5min walk, but that's not really near anything else, just the bus stop and not too far from bright angel lodge. I'd recommend using the busses if you're going anywhere for sunrise/sunset as you'll be setting off in the dark. Thats a mistake we made, take over an hour off the official sunrise time then there's your journey time on top of that.
I wouldn't have realised this so thanks for the tip about looking in the opposite direction.

I doubt we will want a long drive so will look at the points on the bus routes. Thanks for the link, we shall ask the rangers and bus drivers
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List