View Single Post
Old 13 Aug 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WendyWilson View Post
I’ve also had my insurance claim refused because I cancelled the villa more than 28 days before we were due to travel. This is despite the fact that VA cancelled our flights & the FCO state we are unable to travel to the USA.

RBS Insurance will not refund our villa deposit. I didn’t try to make a claim with them more than 28 days before we were due to fly as they won’t allow you to do so. However, as I cancelled the villa as soon as I found out our flights were cancelled, they are refusing my claim! Utterly ridiculous as if I’d have waited any longer, the full amount was payable and I’d have lost that. I’m absolutely fuming

I lodged a complaint with their complaints department who replied to me with a quote from their insurance policy booklet saying they were simply refusing my claim.

Needless to say I’ve written to the ombudsman. If nothing else, it helped me get it off my chest.

I think the insurance company are looking at this very black and white when circumstances are not so. I’m certain there are many people in exactly the same situation. I’m hoping The ombudsman has a more common sense approach - we’ll see.
I could have written this... my timing of my cancellation meant a smaller insurance claim of deposit only, however they basically told me I should have paid the balance, waited until within 28 days then cancelled and had a larger claim...bonkers! Keen to hear how you get on with the ombudsman- good luck!

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List