View Single Post
Old 9 Mar 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Argentina: Summer In Winter - Spring 2019: Final Thoughts

Well, after 12 nights, 8 flights, 6 airports, 39 hours in the air, 32,500km and 5 hotels, I think I can say that it was an absolutely amazing trip that exceeded all my expectations!

Sharing the trip with O was fantastic. It was such a privilege to spend this time with him - especially as he will potentially be moving to the other side of the world in 5 months!

He really was an ideal travelling companion - he humoured my sometimes ad hoc planning and threw himself into everything we did with a big smile and an appreciation of how lucky we were to do this!

Considering we had 8 flights, I was amazed that they were all on time, none of our luggage got lost and we managed to get to and from the airports without any mishaps!

I can't say the flights were perfect (odd demand on the El Calafate-BA flight and the space invader on the BA- Frankfurt flight) but I really can't complain!

O would say that he really didn't like the light security measures in the Argentinian airports. He felt more at ease in Frankfurt!

The accommodation all worked out well! In total we paid about 630 euros for 10 nights which I think was really good value! It was nice to stay in different areas of BA - though I think my favourite one in BA was the second one. But they were all good!

Foodwise, you may have worked out that O is a creature of habit! I really didn't mind revisiting restaurants!

My favourite - either the cafe at Malba or Morrisons in El Calafate. O loved his salmon and chips at the last hotel in BA!

We did have a few dodgy meals - especially in the Iguazu Falls! But we survived and didn't starve! I have to say that we aren't particularly foodies so there was absolutely no planning involved in where we ate!

Iguazu Falls were amazing. The National Parks on both sides were brilliantly organised and whilst there were lots of people it didn't feel like it!

The boat ride was probably not something I would have done had I been on my own but I still enjoyed it and I know O did too!

The sounds and sights we saw here were not to be missed. I am so glad it made it on our to do list!

The Bird Aviary was a surprise hit! O loved the toucans and parrots! It was really well set out and well worth the visit!

I also have to add in here how amazing our Airbnb host was! He made the stay here so much easier and it was worth staying in the Airbnb just to have his help. I don't know how we could have done so much without him!

Buenos Aires - I am happy we visited but next time I would only pass through it! Staying in three separate areas helped us see quite a bit of it - though it was a shame we never made it to La Boca.

Probably the biggest highlight of the trip was the glacier. Truly awe inspiring. I am so happy we decided to do the ice trek - it really wad out of this world and the memories of the day will stay with me forever.

The Petrified Forest tour was an unexpected hit! I didn't really know what to expect but it was not only informative and interesting but the views were also spectacular.

O really enjoyed it too - in fact but the glacier and this tour gave him real insight into what he has bern studying in geology!

Highly recommended!

The zip lining was far better than I had feared - O obviously loved it! That was always a given!

I had only done this once before and didn't enjoy it but was willing to have another go. It was a much better experience and whilst I screamed like a girl, it was fun.

There weren't really any lows - we both just loved every minute and Argentina is certainly somewhere I would love to go back to. I would love to explore more of Patagonia (Ushuaia and Puerto Madryn) and also visit Salta.

What is next? I am off to Quebec City in less than 6 weeks' time! So far not much planned - just got my flights and an airbnb booked!

After that - no big summer trip as O is off to university and if all goes well he will leave mid August!

Thanks for reading along!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List