View Single Post
Old 22 Nov 20, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
bluebell2go
slightly serious Dibber

I've enjoyed all series but I've got a few misgivings about series 4. I think it's a bit disingenuous of the filmmakers to claim that it's just a drama not a documentary when they go to great lengths to recreate the sets, fashions of the day to the exact design, accents and mannerisms and intersperse the drama with historical footage. People have said they've learned about British history through it and they may assume personal details about the RF are also true when at times they are based on speculation or just fiction. There are some great one-line put downs, though.

I thought the Diana character was perfect, Charles was good but his posture was a bit too bowed and Gillian Anderson outThatchered Thatcher. Good but a bit overdone. Tobias Menzies was far better than Matt Smith who just played DoE as a big galoot.

The interaction between Charles and Diana was so bitter. I've no idea if it ever got as bad as portrayed, but, accurate or not, it must still be so painful to their sons who are no doubt still mourning their mother, especially with the whole Martin Bashir interview being brought up again. Seems a bit heartless to do that to two young men who never asked to join the RF.

Edited at 12:21 AM.
bluebell2go is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List