View Single Post
Old 20 Apr 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I am always surprised when people call my trips adventures. The US is so easy. I think my favourite trip was built around catching up with various friends for concerts . Booked really last minute flew into Baltimore, stayed with friends in Maryland and visited Amish country in Pa (sadly the VIP trip to the White House where my friend’s husband works had to be cancelled due in an incoming hurricane meaning I had to leave early or not leave at all) , I flew out early to Phoenix and landed to find the entire eastern seaboard had closed whilst I was in the air ) and then onto Vancouver before flying home indirect. Flights with a few miles and a United credit for the whole thing was under £300 . It was too cheap and interesting not to go . They were all new destinations and ones I want to return to.
Going to just one destination now is a rare thing !
Couldn’t agree more, we have visited 26 States and even did this pre internet (of when internet was in its infancy, not widely available and only a few people / places had a dial up modem). I remember going to the local college to get access to their internet as it was the only place that had it to research some hotels once. We have also amended trips on the fly. Once due to poor weather in Texas we diverted to Louisiana and stayed in Lafayette, Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Not many Brits made it to Lafayette or Baton Rouge then and we got a tour of the governors mansion.
We were also once in LA and it was 60 degrees in May, so decided to just head to Phoenix where we drove across the dessert and stayed in many great places.