View Single Post
Old 11 Jan 20, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Allergy testing and desensitisation in dog *another update*

I've posted before about our spaniels dreadfully stinky sore ears. Long and sort hes been on a prolonged course of steroids with an oral antibiotic and antifungal tablet. Hes a very allergy prone dog. When I took him in November he was constantly biting his paws which are pink most of the time. He bum shuffles and shakes his head and ear scratches. The vet took one look at him then and said this is allergy based. Discussed options and said he could be sedated ears swabbed pre op bloods and ear cleaner. He did say but this wont clear the problem. The other option is allergy testing and desensitisation treatment. We are coming to the end of his steroids the ears cleared up within that first week on the antibiotics and antifungal. As the steroids are reduced to just a 1/4 tablet hes now chewing his paws which are now pink and bum shuffling. So far his ears are still pretty good. After declining the offer to wash his ears for just shy of £600 I want to go for the allergy testing as feel this may get to the the route of the problem. Hes been like a different dog on treatment. Has anyone gone down the allergy route what does it entail? Does it work any idea on cost and did insurance cover it please? I cant see any benefit in subjecting him to an ear wash if I don't get to the route of the problem. Sorry for my waffle.

Edited at 08:01 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List