View Single Post
Old 6 Apr 18, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day9. Disneyland Annaheim, Oceanside and on. 'Highway to the danger zone' for TopGun fans 😩

We decided to pack our car and park in the Disney carpark ready for departure down south later in the day. Up early, we found the organisation and shuttle transportation to Disney excellent and of the standard you would expect in Orlando. $20.

Disneyland was entered at rope drop and even despite our lack of knowledge re park layout (no matter how much you previously study park maps, being there is different), we managed to do every single FP ride we wanted within 5 hours, plus a good look around. I put this down to the old, ticket fastpass system, which I greatly prefer to the new one. Turning up on the day was no disadvantage and it was an even playing field.
The park had a somewhat similar layout and feel to Magic Kingdom, whilst clearly different in other aspects and much more compact. We really enjoyed it, in contrast to 'California' yesterday.
Again, a number of major rides, Splash mountain and Space mountain included, were unavailable. The Star Wars complex could be seen in the distance. It is huge!

A demonstration that Disneyworld borrows much from Disneyland.

Imho, Disney California in no way compares with Disney Orlando, but then again, is well worth visiting if in the area, just to see. Disney formed just a minor part of this vacation and I am glad that I did not miss it.

We left at 1500, straight onto the I5 South and heavy, but acceptable traffic that largely petered out within 30 miles .
We needed to pick up our Gosandiego5 tickets and one of the pickups is at the California welcome centre in Oceanside, around 20 miles north of San Diego. This was very easy to find and as a result of our conversation, we visited Oceanside beach and pier. Very nearby was the house from Top Gun in which Kelly McGillis lived, derelict and iconic. It is apparently about to be restored. Oceanside looked a lovely place to stay a few nights!

Kelly McGillis house in Top gun.. regrettably without Kelly.

Oceanside .. with the house in the background. (Above Mandie's head).

Onwards to Mission Beach. The area is ok and our Airbnb is just.. ok. A nice evening walk along the beautiful beachfront promenade and to bed. I must add at this time that Mission beach, albeit very pretty and exclusive on both shorelines, is a hangout for youngsters and is both brash and noisy on the main, central street, without being unpleasant. If you like Burgers and Dogs and beer, then you will be fine. With hindsight and in future, I would seek accommodation for a family close to Seaport, San Diego. (you learn from mistakes, in this case, mine). Seaworld tomorrow!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 03:46 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List