View Single Post
Old 20 Nov 17, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chatnoir View Post
So we've booked a two week trip for May 18.

We booked it about 6 months ago, and it will be our first trip with our daughter, who will be 2.5 years old when we go.
We are soooo excited to take her, and obviously want the trip to be amazing and for her to love it.

But this weekend we went to a local theme park... its Very small, and has a few rides that she could go on...small train ride, small boat type ride etc...anyone, she was too scared for any of it! She loved watching them, but as soon as we tried to take her on, she'd start crying and fight to get off.

We are now a bit worried she will be like this in Disney... we weren't expecting it! she's usually such a dare devil that we didn't think this would be an issue.

We are really pushing ourselves to afford this trip (booked when we were feeling flush...now not so!) and I'm slightly concerned we are gonna come away thinking we should have saved the money and gone somewhere else!

Anyone else have experience of this? Get all the way there and the kids refuse to go on ANYTHING!
I think the thing with Disney that attracts me as a mid 40's bloke with 2 kids is that it's so much more than fairground rides. There's shows, shops with stories, and little details everywhere. We've been with both our kids as toddlers, and as much as you the adult is tempted to focus on what you miss out on, they find things to go on that you as an adult wouldn't consider, but which turn out to be fun. It's about spending time together without daily stresses, it's not just ticking off rides. One huge difference from a local fair is that everything she will go on she will be sat with a parent, which may not always be the case with a local fair. One I remember specifically from our last trip, on the carousel they let you put the child on the horse and the parent stands next to them.

I was the other day quoting a trippie to a work colleague. If I remember correctly, they had a boy that had been before, and when they were boarding their flight he suddenly refused to get on the plane.
They calmed him down and went the next day, but as they say, there's always somebody worse off !