View Single Post
Old 31 May 18, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi, here are my thoughts, perhaps not terribly helpful other than for context!

I live in Exeter and have friends who work at the Uni; went to the University of Birmingham (a million years ago) and have friends who work at Bristol Uni (and UWE).

Exeter has massively invested in student accommodation over the last five years or so and continues to do so. Because there is a lot of new (and still being built) accommodation it has not yet has the chance to "age" if that makes sense.

There were lots of options in Birmingham when I was there and you could cut your cloth according to your means, believe it's still the same albeit the numbers are a lot higher.

Bristol has become an expensive place to live, work and study. My friend got a new job at Bristol Uni and despite earning 20% more her quality of life was much worse due to high rent and relatively poor quality accommodation (compared to Exeter). My sister went to UWE a couple of years ago, and stayed in a shared house in Clifton which was a bit grotty but quite expensive.
Your observations exactly mirror what we have seen. Lots of affordable options in Birmingham, decent priced, newish halls in Exeter but Bristol really seem to be struggling with providing decent quality student housing at anywhere near a decent price.

DD is also visiting Aberystwyth and Worcester in September. We haven't looked at their accommodation yet, it will be interesting to see how they all compare
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List