View Single Post
Old 24 Oct 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I always DIY and I book real early. I have good flexibility from my employer on dates (whilst it has to be in School Hols due to my children). I research prices on an very regular basis, retaining historic data and exchange rates on word document tables. I therefore have a very good idea of what a target price should be as release dates approach. I also have record of the release dates of most regular airlines, for instance BA release around 350 and American Airlines 330. Norwegian were around 360 of the top of my head and most search engines are 330.

I use google flights to research initially as I find their site the easiest. You can play with one ways initially and easily look at alternative airports in the area, Tampa,Fort Lauderdale, Sanford, Miami etc etc . You can also look at different airports to depart from, I.e LHR, LGW, Birmingham or whatever. You can then look at bar charts showing variations in the cheapest price going either back or forwards for days and even months. From this research, I can plot that maybe flights into Miami on a Tuesday and flights home from Tampa on a Friday are generally best value.
I then start playing on the same site with the multi city option, aiming at flying say, LHR to MIA on a Tuesday and Tampa to LHR on a Thursday, in other words a 16 night vacation. (I will also be carrying out parallel research on several other options that seemed nearly as good).

Having found a deal that I like, I then try it with Skyscanner, Kayak, Expedia and every other search engine that I can think of. If the best deal I had found was with say British Airways, I would also try BA’s own site along with all of their bigger code sharing partners such as American Airlines and the others. From all of this, I will now have a best price and that deal is hopefully on one of the carrying airlines own sites.

I then make direct contact with the airline, whether their own site was cheapest or otherwise and point out what I have established by research. I try to get a price match and if I do, book it there and then. If particularly it is an American Airline that I am talking with, I try to get just a tiny little bit extra such as seat selection there and then to close the deal (as near to the airbridge entrance as possible and 4 seats together).
If I get what I want, then I buy. If I get no movement, then I go back to their website and buy there.

At this present time, I would (and have) only consider buying direct from an airline. I do not want any middleman companies involved should I seek/demand a refund. Whilst I would not be adverse to a credit note in the event of MY cancellation by a major airline such as AA or BA. I would never accept one from Virgin as I believe their position to be very poor indeed as things continue. Should the airline cancel, then there is only one option and that is refund. In the event of refusal, then it is credit card chargeback for their failure as soon as the refusal is documented.

I hope this all makes sense. It is a slightly complex answer to a simple question, but with reason. It may also be more applicable to the fact that I generally only look at an area for a US vacation, rather than a specific such as Orlando. I simply think ‘West Coast’ or ‘Upper East Coast and a bit of Orlando’ or ‘West Coast and ending up in New Orleans’.. all sorts, really. Many of my recent vacations have been planned around the purchase of what I consider really good flight prices, rather than a plan I have developed. (A kind of chicken or egg conundrum) with the detailed planning following the flight purchase and involving car hires, AMTRAC trains and internal flights.
A good example would be last year when I fancied Boston and the USAF Museum at Dayton OH, but the family wanted some time in Orlando. We did Boston, NY, Dayton OH, Cincinatti, Orlando, Naples and left at Miami! 2 Car hires, 1 train and 2 internal flights.

Accommodation? In Orlando it is normally a Villa through Holidaylettings, but if going next year it would be a Hotel Suite such as LBV village resort and spa, Staybridge or similar .. easier to get my money back in the event of having to cancel.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 01:32 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List