View Single Post
Old 15 Jul 16, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post

continued from previous post

The Pairs’ Short Program

There were far fewer pairs than dance couples this year (I think only 20 or so). This was a bummer for DM, the pairs are her favourite.

We settled in to our “new” seats, after determining that the bored boy was again absent. His family was very kind, they were Russian - we managed a bit of conversation. I speak Serbian and so can pick out a few words in Russian - and they spoke a little English. The pater familias waved their flag with pride every time a Russian took the ice.

I’ll be honest, Pairs is my least favourite category. As I mentioned, it’s DM’s favourite, but I failed as a daughter and didn’t take as many photos as I should.

English Interest:

None

The Americans:

Not so good, I’m afraid...

The Contenders:

Sui and Han of China won the Short. Their program had a Spanish theme and A LOT of technical content. The theme was somewhat incongruous to this viewer.

Canada’s Duhamel and Radford were second. They skated to “Your Song”. It suited them, I think...

The Russians (Volosozhar and Trankov) finished the Short in third place. They had a Bollywood number...hmm…

An aside…

I have an old friend who thinks that competitors at Worlds/Olympics should be made to wear national dress and skate to music composed by their countrymen. I think I would like that!

Thirty-two year old (! ) Aliona Savchenko and her partner Bruno Massot came fourth - he threw her up in an ENORMOUS twist.

Savchenko and Massot skate for Germany. He is French, she is Ukranian. This is getting complicated!

The Garden was cleared after the Pairs, but again there wasn’t time to go back to the hotel for a rest (I will be REALLY SORRY about this tomorrow).

DM and I wandered down to the Boston Public Market. This is an indoor marketplace for “locally sourced groceries and specialty agricultural products” (so says their website ).

It is interesting, though (really) pricy.

Mushrooms:

DM bought some maple syrup candy. I was tempted by “Apple Cider Mini Doughnuts”, but the stand wasn’t busy, and I don’t like cold doughnuts.

Time to head back to the skating. Men’s Free Program tonight!

Edited at 10:51 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List