View Single Post
Old 15 Jul 16, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post

continued from previous post

Meanwhile:

While we watched skating, R.C. and Pooter walked the Freedom Trail and had lunch in the North End. Here is THEIR day, in Poot’s own words and pictures (remember he’s 9, folks). I have inserted some stock photos, but the large photos are courtesy of Pooter.

Today we went to Flour.

I had a tart and a Greek salad with Feta. Dad had a tart and a croissant. Mother had a sandwich (weird).

I wasn’t able to finish my Greek salad, so Dad finished it - we call him Papa Poubelle for a reason, ha!

We took a tour of Fenway Park this morning. There is a garden where they grow food they serve at baseball games. I like gardening, so I thought that was cool.

I took lots of pictures in the museum, it wasn’t big but there was a lot to see.

Mother and Grandma went to MORE skating. Dad and I stayed on the train until Park Street. Outside the station, I swung on some MASSIVE swings for about twenty minutes.

They are great, they are like flying benches made of metal!

Then we visited the Paul Revere House.

It cost four Dollars for both of us. Now that is reasonable.

The House has a strict no photography policy - grrr. :angry:

Inside, we took a tour of the house. My favorite thing was the piece of gold Paul Revere had crafted himself. It was a solid gold ladle!

Next was the Old North Church (One if by Land and Two if by Sea).

The steeple has a long history of being blown down by hurricanes. The first time was during "The Great Gale of 1812", the most recent time was in 1954. Hurricane Carol blew down the steeple. A ten year old girl was standing outside at the moment it happened. Amazingly, she took a picture at the exact moment.

The only damage from the steeple falling was three crushed cars and a chip taken off the neighbouring building.

Do you see the chip? It's hard to spot, I only saw it after the guide pointed it out.

The church inside:

We toured the church and then took a tour of the crypts.

The most interesting thing was a tomb marked 1813. It contained the victims of a smallpox epidemic. The tomb had been sealed up to prevent the spread of disease.

All the other tombs were sealed up in 1860. Some of them are now so fragile they are roped off!

After that, we went to the Boston Molasses Flood Memorial. The molasses flood happened in 1919 when a tank of molasses exploded, flooded the North End and killed 21 people. The memorial is only a green sign with a few words on it.

April interrupting here: The molasses flood is a fascinating episode in the history of Boston. If you are visiting Boston with 8-12 year olds (or you YOURSELF like children’s books), there are two really good books about the Boston Molasses Flood you may want to buy.

One is a nonfiction book in the “I Survived” Series:

The other is a novel called Joshua’s Song - about a 13 year old caught up in the Molasses Flood.

After we saw the memorial sign, we went to the Cantina Italiana for lunch.

Dad had:

Fusilli alla Boscaiola

Crumbled sweet sausage, imported wild mixed mushrooms and sweet peas, oven-roasted tomato light cream sauce, served with handmade fusilli, sprinkled with shaved Parmigiano

I had:

Maccheroni alla Boscaiola

Homemade pasta with sautéed mushrooms and Parma ham, tossed in a tomato cream sauce with fresh basil

No pictures of those, sorry. Mine was delicious, but Dad's came with something called broccoli rabe, and that tasted like ROTTEN BROCCOLI. Yuk.

After that, we went to the Park Street Church and gunpowder depot. During the Revolutionary War, the church was really used as a gunpowder depot for the American troops!

We saw the graves of Paul Revere,

Samuel Adams

and John Hancock!

Then we went back to our hotel and had dinner at Wendy’s. It was awful! We had something called "The Baconator".

It had too much grease! Yeuch! Then we went to sleep. End

What did you expect from something called "The Baconator", boyo?

Day 6 Here

Edited at 11:38 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List