View Single Post
Old 22 Oct 17, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Okay, time to post an update.

Flights now booked, but time of year has changed and so has our range, as we've now added on a visit to the Grand Canyon and Zion.

We'll be flying out of Edinburgh on the 7th September to San Francisco via Heathrow. Just over 3 weeks later returning from Las Vegas on the 28th September.

We're flying BA cattle class, as we're both small and we'd rather spend our extra £'s on doing something exciting or staying somewhere memorable whilst we're there. Love quirky places and I love to mix it up.

So far the only thing I've booked are the cheapest room for 2 nights at The Bright Angel Lodge at the South Rim. We're thinking of putting in to the lottery to walk Rim to Rim, but if we don't get it I want to be covered with accommodation so we can at least hike into the canyon on a long day walk and also take a helicopter flight. We don't plan on a long time inside the rooms so saving our pennies for other stops.

We probably need to look into Yosemite next really. We would most like to camp but may book something as back up just in case we don't manage to get a campsite spot as we can't book those for quite a while.

Our proposed itinerary is as follows :
4 nights SF
1 night Nicks Cove by Point Reyes ( drive to a nclude Muir Woods stop and Point Reyes National Seashore. )
2 nights Yosemite ( hopefully halfdome)
1 night Pinnacles NP (camping and hikes)
3 nights near Monterey ( kayaking at Elkhorn Slough, state parks and Aquarium)
1 night Madonna Inn ( PCH stops)
3 nights Anaheim or possibly San Diego, but I'm pushing for Disney 😬 ( dune buggying on the way, Disney for 2 days)
2 night Palm Springs ( aerial tramway and Mt Jacinta, Joshua Tree if can fit it in, pool time)
2 nights Grand Canyon ( helicopter flight and walk into the canyon)
2 nights Zion NP ( angels Landing, Narrows)
1 night Las Vegas ( just to see the strip in a central place)
Fly home at 21.30 so will have the day to see a wee bit of Vegas.

We could change days at each place slightly if we find we have more on at different places e.g. Yosemite, but we liked how it worked on our PNW trip of a few days in a city without a car first then 2 days at each new stop. It gave us a taster enough, and we like being super busy and active.

I absolutely love all the planning
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List