Thread: Sorrento, Italy
View Single Post
Old 3 Sep 20, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We were very similar to SAM 7. Our visit in 2017 was a TUI holiday.

We caught the ferry to Capri by turning up at the harbour.
We caught the bus from Sorrento to Positano by waiting at the bus stop.
We hired a RIB boat for the day from Sorrento Harbour a few days in advance, independently of TUI (180 € for 8 hours) and saw Capri, Positano, Amalfi and in addition, anchored up for a picnic and some swimming during a fabulous day..
We caught the Circumvesuvia train to Pompeii, having researched and talked a very simple guide book with us (Pompeii reconstructed).
We caught the Circumvesuvia train to Herculaneum
We caught the Circumvesuvia train to the Naples archeological Museum.
We caught Circumvesuvia and then Frecciarossa trains to Rome in order to have a 3 day vacation within the vacation.. returning the same way.

We did an evening walk around Sorrento and limoncello tasting that we booked through TUI on our first evening in order to get our bearings. That was the only involvement that TUI had in our fabulous vacation other than flights, transfers and placement in an independent hotel. Everything that TUI we’re offering appeared to be far cheaper to do yourself, plus that independence meant that nothing was time sensitive and you could both begin and end any excursion at your own convenience.
I guess that with my USA multi centre and DIY preferences, We are simply not really cut out for package type holidays and wanted very little TA involvement, having researched extensively in advance. Different people do things in different ways and I like to play with my own ball!

Sorrento and general area? The best and most beautiful place that I have ever visited.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:00 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List