View Single Post
Old 12 Jul 15, 02:32 AM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

I'm getting a bit left behind here, we have internet connection but the pages take ages to load. Back to Thursday. After we'd dried off and had a snack we walked back down the very steep hill to the village ( 2 roads and population of 500 ) to organise the tours I'd pre booked. We had lunch at a cafe owned by an American who'd left the 'rat race' to live in Drake Bay several years ago. He had a bird table set up that was visited by several colourful birds.

Beach

Bird table

Returning back up the very steep hill a little while later we encountered a troop of capuchin monkeys and they were not pleased to see us. Two had babies on their backs so were obviously protective ( but as DS said, what sort of mother takes her baby into battle, she should be sitting in a tree letting the others defend her) anyway, DS managed to get past and while he was followed/ chased up the hill we found an alternative route. Have since been told we should have chased the monkeys and they would probably have backed off, I don't like the sound of that ' probably'

No time to focus!

Night falls very fast here, dinner is eaten by candle light while looking over the bay and before long we are joined by a bat swooping in and out above our heads. With the jungle noises and the sound of waves crashing on the shore it's a beautiful setting.

That night was very hot and humid, I chose the room with the best view at top of the house but of course it's the hottest. I didn't get much sleep so was half awake at 4 am when there was a pounding on the window 18 inches above my head. I moved the curtain and was face to face with a capuchin. I don't know whether he could see his reflection or if he knew we were sleeping there and just fancied some mischief.

Monkeys outside the window
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report

Edited at 08:03 PM.
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List