View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 18, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
MHM
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Yay! I really enjoy your reports and Australia is my favourite place in the world. We lived in Sydney for a while a few years ago and have taken several holidays in the Port Douglas/Cairns beaches area.

For Sydney I would say get a hotel close to the ferries as they are the best way to travel. I wasn't so keen on Bondi, it reminded me of Southend (with better weather, obviously!). Mosman is a lovely beach area if you have the time to visit.

In Queensland, I would recommend The Sheraton in Port Douglas, which has 5 acres of swimming pools, or the newer QT which has a great buffet restaurant. There are some lovely hotels in quieter Palm Cove (mostly run by Accor), and finally Coral Sands in Trinity Beach has nice apartments with a good Italian restaurant (and really good cocktails overlooking the sea). Port Douglas has the most to see/do and is where most of the trips out to the reef go from, if going by boat. I would recommend going with a smaller company that takes you to smaller sections of the reef or to the beautiful Low Isles rather than one that takes you to a very crowded pontoon. Try Sailaway Port Douglas

For Kurunda, it is worth upgrading to first class if going one way by train, for the air conditioning and the drinks/snacks. Train up and sky rail back is the best way. Kurunda itself isn't somewhere you would want to spend a long time. Also, Tjapukai by night is a lot of fun!

Have an amazing trip, if you have any questions, let me know.
MHM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List