View Single Post
Old 9 Nov 18, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Mountains, Zombies & Disney Roadtrip - Day 2 - Steepest Railway in the World in Chattanooga

Trip Report Index

US ROADTRIP – TENNESEE – ALABAMA – GEORGIA & FLORIDA

‘’The Magic Bands Arrive’’

Day 2 – Saturday 7th July
The Steepest Passenger Railway in the World, a World Cup Party and Dad Arrives

Just to start, I'm Lisa - the planner and reporter. Ade is my hubby and he's our driver and there's Hollie who turns 19 on this trip and Louis is 16.

My day started at 4am.
Despite our scary start to this stay here in the cabin, we slept well. The bed was super comfy.
I think the super long travel day did me a favour as not once did I wake in the night worried that someone may be stood looking over me whilst I slept (those cheesy American horrors really play with my over active imagination! )
I was however having a bad dream that I’d lost Louis. I drifted back off to sleep but the dream continued.
4.30am I decided to get up. (this happens a lot with me and scary dreams….too many horror movies maybe? )

I got up, showered, fake tanned. Had a cuppa out on the deck and we watched the sun rise.

Looking out to the Smokey Mountains.
It’s for these moments where all the crazy hard 7 days a week that we work, it all seems worth while.

Stood here, with a cuppa, watching the sunrise with my hubby. Kids fast asleep, knowing that my Dad was arriving later today and that we had 4 weeks ahead of us…. I felt so unbelievably happy and so lucky.

And so in love….trips do wonders for a happy marriage I think!

We decided to have a wander around once it was light outside as so far we’d only seen the cabin on google maps…and as we all know from reading last nights events…it looked nothing like that on google maps.

Looking down from the decking from our room it looked like this.

You can see how steep this mountain is.

This was the fire pit.
We’d taken all the stuff to do s’mores, but we had a lot of rain and it was actually very boggey down there. You kind of sunk in to the ground. So we never ended up doing that.

I took this from where we parked the car.
Where Hollie is standing is just around from our room, and the door there on the left is where we entered the cabin from.

And this is the beautiful cabin.
You can walk all the way around on the decking.

Here’s the monster car.

He loves it!

It was interesting seeing the horrible driveway in the day light.

Ade asked me to stand here to work out how steep the drop was on to the drive.
I’m 4ft 10, so it’s like a 5ft drop as soon as you enter the drive, but also at an angle.

The main problem as the initial bit. My Dad has a 7 seater car and really struggled as the bottom underneath the car scraped as he entered and left.
But the other problem was trying to get up the driveway and on to the road as it’s on a bed and you need the speed to get up but people drove around so fast.

So here’s the bend and because the car is so big it was scary pulling out at speed as the road was also very narrow.
The little store is down there were we pulled in last night to ‘assess’.

And this blurry photo shows the road from the left.
When we arrived last night someone was dragging something across the road in the dark wearing black. You can catch it on the video if you visit my YouTube channel. All these videos are on there. (the channel is lollipop box club). We captured a few of the area.

We got the kids up, grabbed breakie and we’d left by 8.30am.
We were going to the Incline Railway early. The first train was at 9am, apparently it gets really busy in the day.
Plus England were playing in the World Cup at 10am. Louis was desperate to be back for that.
Dad was bringing his dog Ollie later in the day so we needed to go before he arrived as doggies aren’t allowed on the attraction.

We were right around the corner from Ruby Falls. It was already busy around here.
It was the weekend after the 4th July though.
We were going to visit Ruby Falls, it’s an underground waterfall. But we couldn’t take the dog and you are down there on a tour for quite some time, you can’t just go down and come up, Some of the areas you have to bend and you have people coming through in both directions. We decided not to do it. Louis wasn’t overly up for it and we figured we’d rather do the railway.

The Incline Railway is the steepest passenger train in the world. It’s a 72.7% grade.

It was $15 each. The mountain was being swallowed by cloud so we knew there wouldn’t be a view from the top. But the sweet old lady did prewarn us as she was selling us the tickets.

It only takes about 10 mins to get to the top and there is commentary the whole time telling you about the history, how it works and all that. It was really interesting.
It was so so steep going up the last bit.

There are 2 decks for you to look out.
We laughed running up the steps knowing that the view would look like this.

So then we thought it would be funny to run up to the upper deck…. And the view from there looked like this.

There’s a little shop and café inside. It smelt very popcorny when we walked in.

The gift shop had the usual gift shop tat, but we love them!

Hollie bought a magnet and I bought this tree dec.
We wandered out the back and saw that you could park there so we said about coming back with Dad if the weather improved.

We took the train back down, there was one waiting.
We were very conscious of the time and needing to get back for the quarter final of the world cup.

We’d seen a big grocery store when we drove in. So we thought we’d go there and quickly grab some food as we didn’t have much in and we wanted a little party whilst watching the footy.
The store was called ‘Food City’ and looked a little ‘pounland-esque’ from the outside but it was actually more ‘Publix-esque’ inside and we were pleasantly surprised.

We dashed around the aisles with the trolley in proper Supermarket Sweep style (Dale would have been proud…RIP Dale).

They were super super friendly the staff there. I get the feeling they don’t get many brits.
We got asked about the royal wedding….of course.
And we got asked if we had a loyalty card. Obviously we didn’t so she swiped something for us and we got 20% off the whole bill! How kind was that? !

They did this cool thing with the bottles!
We bought so much crap it was embarrassing. I did buy one very expensive box of cut up water melon though…. Almost $10!

We could see the railway track right infront of us whilst we were stood in the carpark.
I zoomed in and you could see the trains.

It was now 10.10am so we had to get a move on as footy had just started.
The boys rushed in, got their shirts on and we watched and ate rubbish.

Hollie and I decided to go for a little walk and cross the road to see the little store.
We only did that once during the trip and decided not to do it again. There’s no path and the cars drive far too fast on that bend.

The sign outside made us laugh every time.

All good there thanks!

It was very much a local store. I’d wondered if they’d stock milk or anything like that, but no….it was full to the brim of tat, but quite sweet. I did really like the handmade quilts that were hanging outside.

Out the front you can watch the incline railway that we’d just been on go up and down.

The trains were full now. It was also very hot out.

England won 2-0. The boys were very happy.
After the footy, we got ready and headed out to AT&T.
It was about 15 mins drive away.

We did this last year too. As we were away for 4 weeks, we decided that we’d all get sim cards again. It’s $80 for the month unlimited.

And they had a repeat of the football on, so we got to watch the game again.

We’d arranged to meet up with my friend Steph. So after our phones were sorted we drove back to the Incline Railway to Clumpies a local Ice Cream place to meet her.

Driving back towards our Lookout Mountain.

I’ve known Steph for years and we’d last seen each other back in LA in 2013, so it was really good to see each other again.
Steph was one of the main reasons that we were coming to Chattanooga. After seeing her photos of how beautiful this area was for so long I’d really felt a pull to come here and with a name like ‘Chattanooga’! It’s so fun to say.

Cont...

@adeandlisadodisney

All of my Trip Reports...Here!

Edited at 10:26 PM.
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List