View Single Post
Old 19 Jun 18, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A Week in Bangkok - June 2018: Day 1 Travel Day

So here I am again - stuck at an airport and now on completely different flights than I was an hour ago!

Let's start at the beginning of the day

I woke up as usual at 6am, breakfasted and showered and said goodbye to F who was off to school. J took me to work and I spent the morning going through my emails and remembering to put my out of office on!

J came for me at 12noon and drove me the 5 minutes to the airport. I printed out my baggage label having checked on online yesterday. I was so happy to have an extra legroom seat.

J and I went to get lunch - slim pickings. I chose an avocado salad - the only problem being was that the avocado was still frozen... The cafe refunded me!

I said goodbye to J and went through security which was fairly painless.

I was starving so got myself a sandwich as there was nothing else available that was both vegetarian and low carb 😟 Doesn't it look lovely?

Suddenly a text popped up on my phone - my Amsterdam flight was delayed by three hours. I went to the gate as I would miss my connection. They told me to exit and then go to the Air France desk to be rerouted.

A bit chaotic at Air France but I got seen by a nice lady who tried to reroute me through Paris and Shanghai arriving 12h later than planned. As she had already mentioned the Lufthansa flight via Frankfurt I asked if could be put on that. I would still arrive over 4h late but better than over 24h of travelling. She negotiated with the head office and they agreed. Phew!

I had to go back to collect my bag - thankfully I know enough people at the airport that they let me through to get it easily!

I have checked in online - surprising good seats. On the Bangkok flight I have an aisle bulkhead seat just behind business. No veggie meal though.

Now I am stuck with my suitcase until bag drop opens at 5pm! What joy!

My boss just called to see how I was getting on and was amazed how zen I am! I think if I had been rerouted via Shanghai I wouldn't have been quite so calm but what will be will be!

I will try to update later!

Do it is almost 6.30pm. I am at the gate and the incoming flight has arrived ! Hopefully it will leave on time as I only have 1h15 to transit...

The on time gods were finally with me. We pushed back 5 minutes early and took off right at 7pm. For once we were routed over my house!

The flight took 1h20 - so by the time we had taxied to the stand and the passage way was attached it was about 8.40pm. Bangkok was looking doable!

I ran through Frankfurt as sometimes they catch you out with passport control and extra security. This time a very empty passport line and no security. I was at the gate by 9pm! I even had time to nip into duty free to spray myself with Chanel5 as I was getting a bit stinky!

Boarding took ages - and it seems the seat map I chose my seat from bore no resemblance to reality - I was about 4 rows back but at least had an aisle seat! Up to the last minute I thought I may have a free seat next to me but no - a big tour group got on!

We took off 20 minutes late! It was looking like I would be over 4 h late arriving at my destination!

I watched “The Founder” - a film about the creation of McDonalds and then dinner was served! I ate all the salad with some cheese!

The main course was veggie ravioli. I picked at it but didn't eat much as it wasn't helping my low carb diet!

I must have nodded off at some stage...

Edited at 02:48 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List