View Single Post
Old 28 Jun 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
GandL
Having Dinner with Goofy

Update June 2019

So our trip of a lifetime is coming around quick as you like now and I’ve been seriously slacking in the planning lately. However finally have found some inspiration as we went to Wales this weekend with some friends to climb Mount Snowdon. We had such an amazing trip albeit I absolutely hated the camping. Too loud, too bright, too cold just not a bit of me whatsoever. There was sheep BAA’ing from 3am which was less than ideal as we was getting up at 5am. I am glad we gave it a go, but next time it’s a b&b for sure.
The walk up the mountain was above average difficulty I would say but then again ive never climbed a mountain before so not too sure what I am basing this on. I only managed to throw 1 tantrum the entire way up which I think is completely respectable and luckily enough my friends and Luke helped me through it. Climbing mountains is completely out of my comfort zone, but getting to the top was an incredible achievement and I was so proud of myself. Luke absolutely breezed it, for someone that doesn’t do a lot of exercise except playing football on the weekends, he just has a natural ability when it comes to all things sport like (totes annoying).

We are off to the Lake District in a couple of weeks for my birthday present from Luke and planning to climb Scafell Pike whilst there. Its safe to say ive caught the hiking bug.

Anyway, the whole point of me going on about this is that it really got me thinking about Yosemite and how excited I am to go there… especially now I think im a hiking pro (NOT). Wales was absolutely beautiful so I can only imagine just how insane the views are going to be in Yosemite…. I’ll probs cry!

So I am straight back on it now, planning hat is back on and the addiction to all things California is back. Therefore draft plan initiated……

Pre Travel Day

Luke and I will both be working unfortunately as we travel on a Thursday and are both very precious about our annual leave, the more you save, the more holidays you can take haha. Basically unless I am on some kind of holiday I am against taking days off. We both work in London so will get home around 6.30pm back to sunny Essex, have a standard pre holiday takeaway, potentially a Dominoes which I am obsessed with lately and then finish the final packing bits.
However, I am still considering booking a hotel for the night before and driving there in the evening so that there is less stress on travel day, seriously need to look into. Normally it wouldn’t bother me at all as we are only an hour away from Gatwick but have just remembered we are flying from Heathrow this time which is FOREVER away and don’t know if I fancy the thought of getting stuck in traffic. Note to self, research and discuss with Luke.

Travel Day

So depending on what happens on pre travel day will clearly influence today. Our flight is at 11.20 from Heathrow Terminal 5 arriving at San Francisco at 14.25 in San Francisco, flight time 11 hours (YAWN!) I’ve never flown from Heathrow before so I guess that’s a bit exciting (exciting if you’re a saddo like me and absolutely loves the airport)
Airport plan remains the same on every holiday that we go on and this trip will be no different. Wetherspoons... always wetherspoons. Tbh if you aren’t going to Wetherspoons at the airport, you aren’t doing it right. Cheap and cheerful and they do a great gin called a “Ginting”. If you haven’t had one before, I strongly suggest you do. Small mooch around the shops, maybe a new makeup item for me… (not maybe.. definitely).

Then time to get excited about the flight. We have never flown long haul with British Airways before, always Virgin, so I must confess I am slightly concerned, but I’m going in with low expectations and hope to be pleasantly surprised. Aslong as they feed and water me and there’s a few films I want to watch then all should be fabulous! I am one of those strange people who likes the food on the plane and pretty much eat anything so I cant imagine too much going wrong!

We will finally arrive in SFO at 14.25, all being well and need to work out how we are getting from the airport to our hotel. Doing this update is making me realise how many things I still have to work out! Be grateful of some ideas of what others have done… can we just get an uber? Further research to do I think.

So I assume we are going to be quite exhausted after our long day of travelling and therefore won’t be doing much apart from a yummy dinner (casual) and trying to stay awake in order to beat the jet lag. Potentially just a wander around and maybe a cocktail or two? Always time for a cocktail even if exhausted…surely?

Day One – San Francisco

Planning on starting the day at IHOP for breakfast. Im aware there are so many other amazing places that are recommended, but to me and Luke nothing beats an IHOP. Panckes in my mouth yes please.

I am going to book Dylan’s famous tour plus Muir Woods, I feel like we are not in San Francisco for a really long time and therefore want to see everything we can. After much dibbing, many people agree that this tour cannot be beaten and I really feel that it will give us a really good flavour of the city!

Then thinking of going back to hotel to freshen up and out for a nice dinner and a few drinks. I am leaving it down to Luke to choose where he would like to go whilst vigourously researching all potentials. House of prime rib definitely looks like a bit of me, has anyone else been?

Post dinner drinks at one of the quirky bars ive seen throughout my research… Tonga room and hurricane bar/Pagan idol/Smugglers cove … thoughts welcomed!

Day Two – San Francisco

Going to start off our day doing the Crissy Field park run. I set myself a challenge at the beginning of this year to complete 26 park runs within the space of a year and so far have just about stayed on track. I am not a natural runner and still currently struggling to get around the whole 5k without stopping to walk for a little bit, but I am extremely determined that I will get there by the end of the year. Also I have managed to knock almost 4 minutes off of my PB since starting so hopefully will continue to improve. I was a bit concerned that many holidays, late nights and hangovers would prevent be from achieving my 26 park runs goal, so managing to do one whilst on our road trip has made me incredibly happy. Nevermind the fact that the Golden Gate Bridge will be in view… living the dream! Now football season is over, Luke has said he is going to start joining me so we will definitely both do this one on our holiday, albeit Luke will finish around 10 minutes before me as he is incredibly fit haha. But on a serious note, really looking forward to starting this day with a run, and who knows maybe a PB?

Have a bit of brekkie, then back to the hotel for showers after what I can only imagine will be a hot and sweaty betty run. Then this day will be pretty fluid although a definite soup in a bowl at Boudins! We had something similar when we was in Iceland in February and it was absolutely delish! I think we will revisit our fave places from the tour and generally mooch.

Going to book Alcatraz for either late afternoon or the night tour, unsure which at the moment, further research required and plan on visiting In N Out burger for a cheap and cheerful calorific dinner! (GET IN MY BELLY).

Further days to be added...
GandL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List