View Single Post
Old 29 Nov 17, 04:26 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I know people on here seem to feel obliged to drive a tank but three can easily fit in an intermediate or compact car. Not only are they better on gas but if you are used to driving a small car, can be easier to maneuver.

We did an eleven night trip from LA to north of San Francisco in a compact-with three kids, two adults and luggage for the entire stay. While is was packed (mostly because I was the human shield between two of the kids in the back seat), it was not crazy uncomfortable. In fact the trip in which we were most uncomfortable was in a full sized SUV. Both were many years ago when car interiors were smaller.

I always book the smallest car for the number of people we have and honestly, we often get an upgrade at no cost.
Here’s my preference.
What would you rather be in on the I4 or similar, surrounded by semi trucks, and heavy traffic? A compact car where you are squeezed in like sardines in a tin, or a reasonably sized SUV, where you and your family have more room, the vehicle sits higher, you have better vision and the car has more presence on the crowded road? For us it’s a matter of safety.
After taking a compact on our first trip many years ago, and sitting on the I4 at 60mph looking out the side windows at eight huge truck tyres level with the window about a metre away from us, I vowed never to hire a small car for trips like this.

Each to their own of course. I’m just showing my logic when hiring for a family trip. In the end there’s no right or wrong, just go with what you are comfortable with.

Edited at 11:13 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List