Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Very true and it had never occurred to me. We are by nature, generally internet savvy.

Not to pour further woe on TC, but you also have to take into account that pretty much everybody under the age of 60 is pretty good on the net and Google etc is hardly Rocket Science.

My point is that in 10 years time, all those under 70 will be internet competent.. and then in 20 years etc etc. In addition, people who lack this skill set will eventually either become too frail, or otherwise unable to vacation and they may be a fair proportion of the High St vacation purchasers. The age demographics of the Shop front purchaser might make interesting reading.For instance, my father who is now in his mid 80s would have vacationed most years in the past.. and from the High Street. He is now unable/unwilling.

I believe that the Town Centre travel agent is increasingly living on borrowed time as each year passes. TUI (who had a debt of well over £2 billion of debt as of April this year) will no doubt be looking very long and hard at whether to downsize their High St operation or even shut it completely at a later date in the light of what has happened.. or now have breathing space in view of the fact that their main competitor is now gone, with many ex TC customers about to pass through their doors.
Interestingly I read an article today or yesterday about a constituency no longer having any high street banks in it's area. This was seen as a Bad Thing. But one could argue it's the way the world is going and any bank that still has a high street presence is falling behind the times. We're all doing online banking nowadays.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List