WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

We passed briefly though Savannah to get to Tybee

And then to the coast

On to Tybee and yay the sun was shining - it was a really funky place

I mean, who doesn't have a big dinosaur in the garden

Lunch plans were Fannies on the Beach.

Parking on Tybee was tricky.

We parked up behind the café to discover the spaces are for the apartments and you will get towed so Andy had to move the car and parked in the next town - well, some distance away for sure ...

We had arrived at 1245. It was very busy so I sat at the bar while waiting for him to return . This is always an advantage of an adults only trip

Straight into the cocktails - I had a Fannie slapper

Such an extensive menu but we were mindful we had dinner booked later so tried to go light.

I had the tropical salad. It was delicious

Andy had the shrimp.

I then spent the rest of the journey getting the hot sauce off his t shirt

What a quirky, glorious place this is. Perfect seaside place. Loved it.

After our delicious lunch we took a wander to the beach front.

It had a lovely seaside feel and it was a real shame we would miss the annual Pirate festival by only a few days - it looked like it would be great fun.

Do like a quirky coastal town

But it was time to get on the road again as we were hopeful of arriving at the hotel in enough time to actually enjoy some sunshine

We left Tybee at 2.45.

Not squishing any turtles

Back over to Savannah

You can see the gold roof in the distance in the main city centre

Heading for the state line

Which is up there as one of THE most disappointing state line signs we have seen

Its not even straight !

Around 3.30 we were passing through Bluffton which we thought looked really nice and picked up the signs for HHI

Another sign skilfully hidden in the trees

The island is split into areas called Plantations - we were in Shipyard

Deffo gator territory

And finally arriving at the Sonesta

The room was very nice

We did comment that this was the only place on our whole stay that charged for water in the room and that it had quite a corporate feel to it - with prices that matched.

That said, it was impeccably maintained, very modern and very nice.

It was one of those places where you had an odd mix of suited execs sharing the lift with families soaking wet and sandy just off the beach. Quite bizarre.

Andy had a lie down while I went to have a look around the resort grounds

Nice pool and lots of lovely water features

Walkway to beach

A little while later Andy came down to join me at the pool and we had a drink - just the one as they were pricey $30 for a beer and a daiquiri

Our dinner was over towards Palmetto Bay so the hotel called a taxi for us.

Our driver was a super chatty guy and told us all about the island and particularly the recovery work since Hurricane Mathew and how he believed the then governor Nikki Haley’s call to evacuate had propelled her into the limelight.

We went back and looked at the footage of the damage, especially out at Harbour Town and you would really have no idea at all it was so damage just a few years earlier.

He gave us his card so we could call him for a pick up at the end of the meal. It was a $30 round trip and well worth it.

The Black Marlin was very busy - I had pre booked to make sure we had an outside table

We had a waterfront table

A baby sparkling Rose for me

It was one of those menus that was humugous in physical size like a Daily Telegraph so This is some of it ..

We had the fried mozzarella and poutine to start

Well theses weren’t huge at all

Massive. We were expecting mozzarella fingers not slabs and the potato wedges were like half a spud.

All very yummy but was going to make the next course a challenge

I went for chicken pasta with spinach, mushroom and tomato

Andy had cod and chips

Really really tasty food.

It’s a beach style bar outside

But quite smart inside

The bill

We had a great time here.

Our taxi guy took a little while to pick us up but we were back at the hotel before 10. Andys cold was in full force and he had done really well today but was absolutely shattered so it was an early night.
Tomorrow is HERE

Today's cocktail tally: 2
Holiday tally so far : 15

Edited at 02:31 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List