Old 25 Jul 18, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Dinner - Teppan Edo (EPCOT Japan)

The Japan pavilion is a big favourite of DD and I and she was particularly excited about eating there, DW and I have been to the QS - Katsura Grill before and would recommend that as one of the best, quiet counter service places around World Showcase.

It’s a bit of a procedure getting into Teppan Edo, you check in downstairs by Mitsukoshi. Not sure why it’s down there, we saw Americans trying to order beer from the hostesses there (it looks nothing like a bar ) maybe they try to control balcony access for the IllumiNations viewing later. Anyway you get given a buzzer and wait for it, ours took about 10 minutes and then it’s upstairs for a second short wait where you meet your fellow diners. It’s 8 to a table in a 2/4/2 formation where the two’s are at the end of the grill table nearest to the server. Me and DD sat at one end and left DW as the buffer for being sociable next to the other diners

Hibachi cooking table in action

Drinks order was the usual for DD, champagne for DW and sake for me. According to our server only one of the many sake choices was allowed on the DDP (I wanted to try the sparkling but no) although I asked and was able to get a cold one rather than the hot sake that’s offered on the menu.
EPCOT t-shirt challenge 11/22 Half way!

As starters we chose Edamame (me), ribs (DD) and tempura (DW) with the intention of all trying each one. You also get a little bowl of salad with some sort of soy dressing.

Ribs, way too zoomed in/much nicer than they look

I love edamame. Cold soy beans may not sound appetising but they’re a great snack to sit there and a pop with a drink while you watch the chef at work (and the cooking is all part of the show). They look like cold green beans and you pop them out, eating the inner part. I thought delicious but the other two didn’t like them so… The ribs were lovely, no sauce and they don’t photo well but they were super tender rather than dry, pork ribs with loads of meat and despite the menu claim there is no strong ginger taste to them (at least not to ours, DD doesn’t like ginger and ate 2 of the 3). The tempura was also decent and probably a relatively safe choice.

Whichever main you go for you start with a plate of noodles and vegetables. It’s best to eat these straight away because those big noodles go gummy when they’re cold but it does mean you tend to eat your meal in installments.

Our main course choices were the scallops (DW), beef julienne (DD) and nihonbashi - beef and chicken for me. Pictures in that order:

The scallops were a clear winner here. Golden on the outside and cooked perfectly inside and the portion was 8 full sized scallops that I thought was extremely generous. I had 3 of them, as many as DW but we still left two as she had overdone it on the noodle course which is definitely a learning! Beef julienne and beef/chicken options were both solid too. You also get a bowl of plain rice with the meat plus a sauce bowl with ginger and yumyum (Big Mac’ish) sauces to use as dips. We didn’t really go for these as everything was already tasty but they were okay.

No dessert here, all stuffed temporarily at least and the options don’t look particularly appealing.

The meal came to $174 so even without desserts it’s pricey and should represent good value for those trying to maximise a DDP credit. Would I eat here again - yes. Would I pay OOP no I’d go to one of the other hibachi restaurants in Orlando for a lot less money and come to EPCOT to enjoy the Japan pavilion. You’re also tucked away inside at Teppan Edo so you wouldn’t even know that there’s a firework show going on outside (Tokyo Dining has windows).

Gotta run!
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List