View Single Post
Old 10 Mar 20, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Why not opt out of the system entirely and travel hand baggage only?
Not sure what Virgin do (I’m not a fan) but BA hand baggage is a massive 23 kg and just restricted by size so on a shorts and T shirt holiday and a wash after a week . Most hotels have washers and dryers usually near the pool so you don’t need to sit by the machine for the cycle. Disney’s machines even have their app to tell you when it’s ready.
We pack a very light flat pack nylon hold all so coming home as we travel on the cheaper hand baggage fare the dirty washing goes in there and we pay £40 ish to check it in and the stuff we’ve bought or if delayed might cause a meltdown goes into the carry on. (I have an adult ASD son but we do it on trips without him too as it makes things easier). BA allow an overhead sized suitcase and a personal item each like a bag, laptop bag or backpack that will fit under the seat. Laptop bags used to be my choice as the under seat bag but more recently as we now only take tablets we use day packs which take iPad, phone , sweets , water, shorts and a t shirt etc and do double duty as park bags once in Orlando.
I wouldn’t pay to travel business purely for luggage priority ... it doesn’t always work ! Especially with MCO.
I’m a greater believer in avoiding anything that can trigger a meltdown when travelling so for us hand baggage only works and the trip to Dollartree for toiletries (or a pick up from Boots airside if you want specific brands , you can order online in advance) and an hour doing laundry max is well worth it. We use packing cubes as I find I can pack much more with it. Last trip my husband helpfully packed when I was working without using cubes and was about to get a check able suitcase out as “it doesn’t all fit” . I repacked with cubes and we didn’t need it
Last trip we did a cruise after Orlando and even with dressier clothes for sea nights it all fitted , although this year I may use the ship’s laundry service aboard as it’s very reasonable as we are doing a week rather than five days cruising.
Fair play to BA offering that weight limit, think Virgin is about 10kg
coggie is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List