View Single Post
Old 1 Apr 17, 02:11 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Day 2 - Hollywood Studios and CBR

Today we grabbed a quick breakfast in our room before heading out. We take the mini variety boxes of cereal with us from the UK and find them really handy. So breakfast was this:

Lunch was at Hollywood Studios. I felt at a bit of a loss here as my go to place was Starring Rolls before it suddenly closed So, I was on the mission to find something new. We were all really hungry and at Rock n Roller coaster, so ended up going for the closest option of all the outside stalls opposite the Fantasmic theatre. We went for:

Me - Empanadas Platter: Beef Empanadas served with Cilantro Rice, Black Beans, Roasted Corn Salsa and Sour Cream from Fairfax Fare.
Andy - Fajita Combo Platter: Pulled Pork, Grilled Chicken and Flour Tortillas served with Black Beans, Cilantro Rice, Peppers, Onions, Sour Cream and Tomato Corn Salsa from Fairfax Fare.
Izzy - Burger and fries from Rosie's All American Diner. She actually ordered the 1/3 lb Fresh Angus Onion Straw Cheddar Cheeseburger, but likes her burgers plain so had all the toppings removed.
Brodie - Burgers and coleslaw from Rosie's All American Diner, also with the toppings removed. He didn't order fries as he doesn't eat potato, but they came with the burger anyway, so Andy ate them.

I don't eat sweetcorn, so gave my sweetcorn salsa to Andy and he gave me his peppers and onions which I mixed in to my rice. The rice was cooked really well and not all stodgy and stuck together. The empanadas were tasty enough, but I added the black beans to them and that was really nice. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and would happily eat it again. Andy also really enjoyed his fajita platter. He said the chicken was tender and the pulled pork tasty without being overly barbecued in flavour or drowning in sauce. Thumbs up from him too.

The children said the burgers were really good. The coleslaw didn't fair as well. Brodie's quite the little coleslaw connoisseur and didn't rate it at all.

Overall though, lunch was a success

Dinner was our first meal at CBR. We used our resort mugs for drinks, so swapped the drink out for a dessert/snack option. After looking at all the different offerings we went for:
Me - Jamaican jerk chicken with rice, black beans, broccoli and corn bread. There was a choice of sides for this, and I jumped at the broccoli option. I mentioned to the server that it was nice to get some vegetables, to which she replied, "Yes, I agree. I have the mashed potato as my vegetable." Really? Dessert was a dark chocolate, nuts and sea salt 'Kind' bar.
Andy - Blackened mahi sandwich with coleslaw and fries. Desert was a chocolate chip cookie.
Izzy - 'Create your own pasta'. After experiencing this at POR, I'm using the term 'create your own' VERY loosely for the CBR version. There are no vegetables to choose from and it's not cooked fresh to order either. So, her 'creation' was penne pasta, Alfredo sauce, grilled chicken breast and bread stick. Dessert was a sugar cookie.
Brodie: Burger with lettuce, tomato and coleslaw. Dessert was a chocolate cookie.

My chicken was good with a nice flavour, but some parts of the breast section were a little dry. The black bean and rice combo was tasty, but the rice was a bit clumpy and they could do with taking lessons on cooking it from Fairfax Fare. Broccoli was perfect! I had hoped that the cornbread would be like the cake style one that they serve at Hoop Dee Doo, but unfortunately not. It was quite dry and had bits of actual corn in it. Not for me. Overall though, the meal was tasty and filling. The Kind bar was lovely and I'll definitely be getting one of those again.

Andy really wasn't impressed with his mahi sandwich. He said there was a funny taste, which he thought might have been the coleslaw on top. So, he tried some of the fish on it's own and said it was quite bland a dry. The fries were good (hard to get them wrong really), and the cookie was tasty and the best part of his meal.

Izzy loved her meal, despite it not being a patch on the POR version IMO. The chicken breast was still moist and full of flavour and she devoured the lot. A definite thumbs up from her and something she'd have again. Thumbs up for the sugar cookie too.

Brodie enjoyed his burger, but thumbs down for the coleslaw again. To be honest, I think the traditional style in mayonnaise is more his thing. Another thumbs up for the cookie.

My main worry about booking CBR over POR was the QS food offerings, but this is our budget trip. POR is far superior, and where we'd happily eat there on a regular basis. So far, CBR is somewhere we'll grab something if we're not at a park and can't be bothered to go elsewhere to eat. Hopefully they'll remedy some of this in the refurbishment that's going to be taking place over the next couple of years.

Snacks! Only 2 snack credits used today. 1 for a Mickey pretzel in Hollywood Studios and an bag of pretzels from CBR.

The Mickey head pretzel had the option of a cheese sauce dip, but Izzy didn't want that. I always struggle with the sheer quantity of huge salt crystals that they cover these pretzels in, so asked for one with not too much salt for her. Brodie ate the bag of pretzels he had before I had chance to photograph them, so just one of the Mickey head:

One nice thing about CBR is being able to write this sitting by the lake watching Ilumiations fireworks in one direction and Star Wars fireworks in the other!

Day 3 will be our first offsite meal at Outback and dinner at Epcot, although not 100% sure where yet.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019

Edited at 03:12 AM.
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List