View Single Post
Old 13 Apr 22, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi, I can’t help with the uni questions but I do have some insights into the course/teaching side of things.

I wonder if your daughter’s anxiety is heightened at the moment due to her impending placement? If so, maybe you’ll just have to get her through the next ten days and she’ll feel better and more able to cope with that side of things once she starts.

I did a PGCE not BeD but I can honestly say it was the most stressful, exhausting year of my life. The pressure was huge so I get where she’s coming from. However, once you are qualified and in your own classroom it’s different, no assignments but lots of paperwork in other forms instead. Also, teaching involves having many eyes on you at all times (adult ones I mean, not children) and it can lead to feelings of inadequacy and Imposter syndrome.

Maybe, if the uni/finances situation allows, your daughter should think about alternate routes into teaching. Ie, getting a job as a TA now and gaining experience and confidence and then getting the teaching qualification later “on the job”.

Working with children is so fun and rewarding but it has to work for you as it’s not an easy job.

I suspect from reading your post that you know all this already but it’ll be difficult for your daughter to clear-sightedly see her way to making the right decision. I do wish her luck and if she does decide to take a break from uni, she can still work in a school to give herself some space.
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List