View Single Post
Old 13 Jan 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Day 4

We only ate one meal "out" today - I meant to go over to Disney Springs for dinner, but there was so much food at the French Quarter Halloween "do" that we just didn't want anything else.

An Early Lunch at Beaches and Cream, Beach Club

The Beach Club:

Beaches and Cream is at the “back” of the hotel, near the (fabulous) Stormalong Bay pool.

I’ve stayed at the Beach Club twice - it is totally my favourite Disney hotel (amazing pool+best location=perfect holiday). But the last two times we’ve been to Florida, the difference in price between the Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge/Saratoga Springs more than paid for a week at Portofino. Sigh…

We got to Beaches and Cream around the same time as three other families.

The restaurant was just opening - and so completely empty - yet they passed out pagers and made us all sit outside while our pagers went off one by one. Maybe this guy was in the back :

It was...strange, but around 11:10 we were finally let in and seated at a two-top table. I always forget how small B&C is until I am there…

Our waitress was a bit brisk, but not unfriendly - and she didn’t bat an eye when I said that we wanted to share a main so that we could have ice cream.

The menu:

We ordered the patty melt (I LOVE patty melts - you just can’t get a good one in England - even when I’ve tried to make them at home they’re never as good as they are in America). I also ordered a pop, while Poot had his usual - tap water.

While we waited for our patty melt, I asked Poot if he wanted to go pick out some music on the jukebox - it’s stuffed with great songs from the 50s and 60s - and it’s free! - but he said no.

WHY Oh WHY did I marry a cultured man?

Sure, it’s great that he takes Poot to the Proms, but I dreamed of:

When my DH and I were first married we would go once a month or so to a classical recital or concert up in London - and finally I had to tell him that while he was being transported by Mahler, I was looking around the hall and picking out the person most likely to be a serial killer…

DH was VERY happy when Poot was finally old enough to go to the symphony - and so was I!

But I digress...

I don’t think the “main” portions at Beaches and Cream are as big as they are at most Disney restaurants - you can see that in the picture:

The Beaches Patty Melt: Angus beef burger with sauteed onions, swiss, garlic-peppercorn dressing on rye bread ($16).

And Kudos to the brisk waitress, who divided the dish in the kitchen and brought it out on two separate plates - but gave us each our own pickle, lol.

We gobbled that patty melt up - it was DELISH, as well as being our first real meal since lunch at T-Rex the previous afternoon. And soon it was time to decide on our dessert…

I really wanted the No Way Jose (this is a chocolate and peanut butter sundae - served with HOT peanut butter sauce), but Poot didn’t fancy it, so instead we ordered the Fudge Mudslide.

This was a big deal for our little family, as Poot had some pretty serious sensory issues when he was small, and wasn’t able to eat ice cream until he was about eight. This would be his first ever sundae.

So even though it probably seems like a small thing to most people, I can’t explain how happy I was to see this face:

The Fudge Mudslide: a gooey, chewy brownie covered with hot fudge, three scoops of vanilla ice cream, oreo cookies, whipped cream, topped with a cherry ($9).

We swapped the vanilla ice cream for cookies and cream - because vanilla ice cream? No.

And our waitress had obviously heard our debate about the No Way Jose, because she also brought me this:

For your mama,” said she, to Poot. Oh, this was so nice!

Does anybody know, is this just American-style (like “Skippy”) peanut butter that’s been warmed up? ‘Cause we can buy Skippy at our nearest Tesco...

I got exactly one spoonful of that peanut butter sauce - once Poot tried it, it never reappeared on my side of the table. So next time I know we can order the No Way Jose. Woo-hoo!

We couldn’t finish the sundae. Even hungry, and having shared our main - we couldn’t finish it. I think it would have been the perfect size if R.C. had been with us, though.

The bill was around $30 - I tipped the waitress 20% plus whatever change rounded up to the next dollar. She wasn’t overly friendly by any means, but she was very efficient and really paid attention to our desires. Thumbs up.

One thing about our visit to Beaches and Cream was a bit funny. By the time we finished our patty melt, there were about six families in the restaurant, and for EVERY group but ours, there had been this:

And sirens, too.

I thought we were going to see the “Kitchen Sink” - but nope!

EVERY SINGLE TIME, it was to say, “Every day’s a celebration here at Walt Disney World - but today is EXTRA special for Bill and Mary - it’s their 25th Wedding Anniversary!”. Cue clapping from all the other guests. I think there were two anniversaries, two birthdays and a family reunion in the restaurant.

But no one clapped for us...

Our lunch cost $37. And that was for a shared main, a sundae, one soft drink and the tip. That’s a lot of money. A family of four could EASILY drop $100 here.

I wanted Poot to have the experience of it - and I do love the little touches - the free jukebox, sodas with syrups, etc...but even with two courses to eat we were out the door in under an hour...so be aware of that.

Today was Halloween - if you're interested in what happens at one of the Disney hotel "Halloween Parties" - then...

Day 4 (Beaches and Cream and Halloween at Port Orleans French Quarter) is Here

Edited at 12:17 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List