View Single Post
Old 5 Jan 17, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Day 1

Breakfast, Thyme, Premier Inn Gatwick North Terminal

We popped back down to Thyme and they checked our name off the master list - our waitress the previous evening had kept the meal deal voucher, but they had all the records at the hostess stand.

I do think that if you have a child who likes to eat then the Premier Inn breakfast is the best deal going. My breakfast was included with the (£25) meal deal - Poot’s was free, as kids breakfast free if an adult’s breakfast is purchased.

I’m sure you all know what an English breakfast looks like, but just in case...

Poot had bacon, a sausage, hash browns, toast and flapjacks (not sure why these were out for breakfast but they seemed to be a hit with the kids!). I had yogurt, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and a crumpet.

I always let myself have a crumpet when I’m breakfasting away from home - I can’t keep them in my own kitchen ( ), because I will eat ALL THE CRUMPETS…

Tiny Snack at The Aspire Lounge, Gatwick North Terminal

The Aspire Lounge:

This was my first time in the Aspire; I thought it was very nice - much quieter than No. 1. All the usual snacks and drinks were on offer - it reminded me of a good airport lounge in America. Still not a patch on the Plaza Premium at Heathrow, though.

Because we would be having lunch on the plane, I didn't check to see if the Aspire does hot food - it didn't look like it? If anyone knows - please tell me.

Poot had a couple of cookies (because like most boys, he is ALWAYS hungry) but I just had some water.

A Note on Pre-Ordering Meals with BA:

We flew World Traveller Plus (PE) and I took advantage of the opportunity to pre-book our in-flight lunches on the BA website. I did this about a week before our flights - I think the booking window is from 30 days to 24 hours before take-off. In Premium, you get to choose from two of the business class meals - in our case it was a choice between beef and chicken.

Lunch, British Airways World Traveller Plus

I went for the beef filet with potatoes and roasted veg. There was also a pretzel roll and (weirdly) a small bowl of couscous. Nothing goes with potatoes like couscous, right?

Poot chose the chicken - it was breast of chicken with a mushroom sauce, turned root vegetables and...more couscous.

I am guessing the dessert was the economy dessert - it was one of those little Lily O’Brien’s chocolate/caramel pots. So tasty...

Both meals were fine. At least I didn’t wish we’d spent extra money on sandwiches from Boots (which is how I measure the relative tastiness of airline food)!

I really liked being able to order our meals in advance - I am a bit of a fretter, so it was nice to know that they wouldn’t be out of the meal I wanted. Let’s hope this remains an “included” benefit to booking in PE and Business. I’d hate to see it go upcharge like BA seat selection...

Snack/Tea, British Airways World Traveller Plus

Later in the flight we got the economy snack/tea - chicken caesar sandwiches and KitKats. Poot loves caesar salad - we both thought these were pretty good - but neither of us could finish (though we both managed to finish the KitKat…).

Garden Grocer Order, Delivered to POFQ Bell Services

Here is our Garden Grocer order, which we popped in the fridge:

I give Garden Grocer a big thumbs up - we ordered far enough in advance to get 10% off the bill.

Since this is a food report, I'm going to itemise the bill.

We ordered:

1 Box Cereal
1 lb Greek Yogurt
1 Quart Milk
3 Oranges
1 Bag Apples
1 Bag Baby Carrots
1 Massive Pot of Hummus
1 Pack "Natural" Ham
1 Pack Sliced Provolone
1 Huge Bag of Cheddar Popcorn
1 Box Flipsides (Pretzel Crackers, my FAVOURITE!)
1 Bag M&Ms
6 Bottles Diet Dr. Pepper
24 Bottles Water

This cost $75. We stayed six nights at POFQ, and the groceries were enough for breakfast every day - as well as two in-room dinners and a bunch of snacks. We took the leftover water bottles with us to Saratoga. Embarrassingly, I had already finished the soda by then.

Would it have been cheaper to get an Uber to Target and stock up there? Yep, probably. But despite the significant markup (over, say, Target prices) I still found it good value. The food was waiting for us when we checked in and it was exactly what I wanted (and what I knew would be good for us). Much better than wandering around a discount store (exhausted) on arrival night or having to take time away from fun to go grocery shopping the next day. Just my opinion, obviously - I know some Dibbers love that first night visit to Publix!

The week before we left England I picked up some plastic cutlery and paper bowls at Tesco (£2). I also ordered some cute Disney Halloween plates and napkins from Amazon (£3).

Hotel Picnic Dinner

So, using our themed plates and napkins, we had a little picnic of ham, cheese, hummus and carrots (there may have also been some M&Ms) while we watched “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown”.

If you'd like to read the non-food activities for today...

Day 1 (Travel to Orlando, Port Orleans French Quarter) is Here

Edited at 11:58 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List