View Single Post
Old 23 Dec 18, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
If you've only got a short stay and are near Potsdamer Platz then I would eat at the Lindenbrau restaurant. You can look the menu up online. It's traditional Bavarian food and it was great. The restaurant is on three floors (actually it may be more than that).

Although our favourite was Maximillians but that will be a little bit more of a walk back to your hotel after the meal. We really enjoyed it and went back there for our last meal.

For the must sees. I would head to the Holocaust Memorial from your hotel it will only be a 5 to 10 minute walk. Then you can walk to the Brandenburg Gate and through it to the main road which goes over the river to the Eastern side of Berlin. This will be about a 30 minute walk, or you could use the metro. If you walk then you will pass lots of the museums, squares and the Humboldt university which are all quite interesting even if you don't go inside them.

When you get to the river you could then go to Alexanderplatz which has the World Clock and is the place where the East Berliners gathered to protest the old regime just before the wall came down.

Alternatively, instead of walking in the city you could head into the park after visiting the memorial and Brandenburg Gate and make your way to Victory column which is sort of central in the park. The view from the top is amazing (so I'm told, I was a bit scared up there after climbing the stairs and didn't enjoy it as much as the others).

If you have time the following day then I would head out in the opposite direction to the Topography of terrors which is a free museum about how Hitler came to power and the Holocaust and is built on the site of the old SS headquarters. There are sections of the Berlin wall still standing on the site and this is really close to check
point Charlie.

Of course, you should try to spot as many bears as you can! I hope you have a lovely trip.
That's fabulous, thank you so much.
Bear spotting will obviously be on the agenda