Old 27 Aug 11, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
FISH EXTENDERS, DOOR MAGNETS & OTHER NICE THINGS

What is a Fish Extender?

I am sure you are wondering! It's a very strange name for a very lovely idea. If you think of a 'Secret Santa', then you are along the right ideas.

Near each cabin door there is a fish, (or sometimes a seahorse). This Fish is used by the crew to leave you messages. It has become a tradition on Disney cruises for some people to use these Fish to leave each other little presents.
However, as the Fish isn't very large, it needs to be 'extended', hence the term 'Fish Extender', which is basically any sort of container which can be hung from the Fish. They tend to be a fabric strip with a number of pockets on, but we saw a couple of different items being used and they all worked fine.

In order to join in, you need to join a group for your specific cruise, this is normally on FB. They will have someone organising the FE lists and other exchanges such as ornaments, sweets etc.
I would recommend avoiding the FB group that is titled Disney Cruise Line Fish Extenders (the admin is someone called Ali) - I recommend avoiding it as it gives out incorrect information and gives wrong expectations to newbies.

Once you have a group, then you need to think of something to give as your gift. We gave out British things like Jelly babies, Cadbury's, crisps, Twiglets etc. Other's give piratey things, or things from their local area. It doesn't really matter what you choose, the fun is in wondering what you might find each time you return to your cabin. Give what you would like to receive and you won't go far wrong.

You will get a list of participants and cabin numbers, so at some point on the cruise, you head out with your bag of goodies and leave little parcels in everyone's fish extender. I thought this would be a 'chore', but actually we really enjoyed it. It was great fun to see everyone's decorated doors (more on that later), and their Fish Extenders, and we got to see many areas of the ship that we would have otherwise missed.

If you can find a group for your cruise, then I would recommend getting involved as it's a lot of fun.

BevS97's Fish Extender

Gifts received

Door Magnets

As you walk around the ships, you will spot many decorated doors. By no means is every door decorated, so please don't feel any obligation to participate, but there are quite a few with decorations and it really adds to the festive feeling on board.

The doors are metal, and you are requested not to use bluetack or tape, hence the magnets are used.

You can very easily make your own door magnets. Just print on regular paper, laminate then attach magnets to the back.

As for the images, there are 100s of images on photobucket and 4shared, and you can customise them using Photoshop, Powerpoint or even Word depending on what software you are most comfortable with.

Edited at 02:51 PM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List