View Single Post
Old 14 Sep 21, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Privateer
Earning More Ears

I studied French in school over 40 years ago and gave it up as soon as I could. In those days the emphasis was on being able to read and write French with correct spelling (including diacritical marks aka accents) and grammar. We hardly ever did conversational French, yet that is the way most people learn a language.

Once a week we had to do French dictation and at the end, you'd swap with the pupil next to you and mark their work. You started with 100 marks and lost one mark for every spelling mistake or incorrect use of a diacritical mark). I was so bad at French (at the time my written English wasn't much better) that the wag who marked my work would give me a minus score. The teacher would then call out your name and the person who marked your work would shout out your score - it was so embarrassing to have my score shouted out! In the end, I would just sit there with my arms folded and do nothing on the basis that a mark of zero was better than a minus score!

Although that was 40 years ago I do have a smattering of schoolboy French. I would try to speak some French in DLP and the hotels and would get help from my wife as she spoke Spanish and studied French literature for a term at university.

I found that certainly within DLP the vast majority of CMs would speak English. Once I tried to buy a couple of ice creams and the CM switched from excellent French to English with a heavy Yorkshire accent - that was a surreal moment.

If you go to a hotel outside of DLP that isn't affiliated with Disney then some of the staff may not speak English but it's amazing how much you can communicate by using a smile! However, in DLP you will be OK with no knowledge of French.

Edited at 12:12 PM.
Privateer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List