View Single Post
Old 7 Dec 17, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post

The Uttermost Parts of the Sea - 2017 DCL Westbound Transatlantic Highs, Lows - and Jibber-Jabber

We are a family of three, consisting of…

Me, April (the impulsive one):

My husband, R.C. (the hospitalised one):

Our son, Poot - aged 10 (the sanguine one):

Some of the snaps in this post are straight off Google Images. I *intended* to wander around the ship taking “scene-setting” photos during our first few hours on board...but you know our days leading up to the cruise were rather...manic, so I didn’t. Sorry.

Those of you who read my Florida trippie know how I came to book this cruise - but here’s a quick recap for newcomers:

Back in the spring of 2017, my dear husband and I…ahem...“had words” about a decision he made without me. Now when I am stressed, I spend (why eat a pint of Ben and Jerry’s when you can drive your family into bankruptcy? ) - and in one afternoon I researched and paid for a Disney cruise. Whoops.

We booked with Carissa at Kingdom Konsultants - and I just can’t praise her enough. When I couldn’t book the shore excursion I wanted (and we only wanted ONE for the whole cruise) - she said to leave it with her - and she eventually was able to grab it. So using the TA was really worth it for us. And even though (by the time we booked), DISNEY was no longer offering onboard credit, KK still was. The $150 in credit more than paid for our excursion, with a little left over for pins…

I tried (and tried) to talk R.C. into coming on the cruise - but in the end, it was just Poot and me. R.C. has a crippling fear of drowning - which he just couldn’t get past. But he drove us down to Barcelona (see Post #1 for THAT adventure ) to see us off!

Since we had our car, we needed a hotel with secure parking. So in the end I booked us in at the Hilton Diagonal Mar. I booked through Expedia (via Quidco), and it was about half the cost it would have been had I reserved it through Disney.

The view from our room:

Originally, we had TWO nights booked at the HDM, but because of Poot’s hospital appointment back in London (again, see Post #1 for THAT) - we didn’t arrive in Barcelona until 13 hours before Poot and I had to leave for the dock.

As this was our first time in Catalonia, R.C. and I were disappointed not to get a bit of sightseeing in - but (as some of you know) Poot is RELENTLESSLY cheerful. And so his only complaint about arriving so late in Barcelona was missing the chance to look for these (photographs of which he had seen in the Telegraph earlier this year):

Lol, had we actually SEEN anything of Barcelona it was my plan to call this post “Gaudí Hates You”. How could I NOT HAVE?

But Barceloní ...I get it. We saw what the daytrip hordes are doing to Lisbon later in the holiday - and YUK. Just yuk.

One quick story before I get to the cruise Highs and Lows:

The buffet brekkie at the Hilton runs something like €27 per person, so on departure day we decided to have a wander around our “neighbourhood” and see if we could turn up some breakfast, instead. Everywhere was shuttered. Even McDonald’s didn’t open until nine. Poor R.C. had to drive off hungry. Neither of us have Catalan, but I wrote the Spanish words for tea and bread down for him (so that he could get some food at an Aire). In the end, though - he was too nervous to try Spanish - and waited to eat until he got back over the border.

“Once I was safely back in France, I found a little village and had some lovely croissants. And I’m sure they were nicer than anything we could have gotten in Spain, anyway.”

Bless his heart.

Now...not to start right off with a “low”, but…

Poot and I got the coach to the ship - and almost everybody on the coach was American (and so, so LOUD). And while we waited to depart, a car pulled up across the street from us. Any parent among us (one would think!) could sympathise with what happened next. A father hopped out of the car, and - quick as a flash - he had the passenger door open to let his very young son out. He pointed said son towards a drain, and…

...a whole bunch of the Americans began banging on the coach windows and clapping.

Really?! Have you never had a child who urgently needed the loo?

It was a long time since I’d been on any kind of “group outing” - and I’ve never done one with Americans in Europe. This is a hard thing to try and explain, but really I struggled with the total lack of “When in Rome”. Don’t get me wrong, we saw English passengers behave just as boorishly - but the lion’s share of our fellow passengers were American. And whether it was the mocking of toddlers - or the complete unwillingness to even say “HELLO” to people in the local language before they started jabbering at them in English - it got right up my nose. Gaudí hates you, indeed.

Sorry, I warned you about the righteous indignation.

But since we’ve already had a “low” (and it was a big one), let’s do a “high” now, too!

While we waited to check in at the cruise terminal, I noticed just how many of our fellow passengers had really made an effort with their ensembles. I bought a few little “nautical” bits for Poot and myself…

...and to be frank I wondered if they might be a bit OTT...but they were subtle (SUBTLE!) compared to some of the Disneybounds and themed outfits we saw. There was even a Frenchwoman aboard the ship who arranged a different (Disney) peluche in her updo every day…and I don’t mean ones like this:

...but rather plushies like this:

...I did actually speak to the Frenchwoman a few times, but was never able to work up the courage to ask if I could photograph her hair. Poot noted that it was lucky we never had to sit behind her in the cinema.

At check-in, though, my favourite “group look” BY FAR was that of a Scottish family who were all togged out in kilts and plaid.

They were fewer in number...AND they were in colour ()...but you get the idea. They looked AMAZING. And since R.C. wasn’t there to chastise me about complimenting strangers’ clothing, I told them so. What a lovely family. Hello! if you’re Dibbers…and thank you for pretending it was no big deal when Poot came running back from the (cruise terminal’s) lavatory yelling, “I need the camera in the bathroom!”

Those of you who know Poot from way back won’t be surprised that it was to snap this:

Don’t throw paper towels, kids.

We chatted with the Scottish family several times over the course of the cruise - they had a whole wardrobe of plaid things. I loved it!

ANYWAY, I told Poot we are TOTALLY going to wear patriotic clothes on our next holiday, but he’s not sure how that would work...what with R.C. being English and me being half Irish and half Norwegian. I told him I’d come up with something. All suggestions appreciated!

OK, let’s do the “proper” Highs, Lows and general waffle now…

The Magic

The Disney Magic is handsome and classy. I'm not sure why, but I imagined something like this:

...so I was pleasantly surprised when it actually looked like this:

Poot loved (and I mean LOVED) seeing all the decorated doors on the ship. We kept ours relatively simple…

...but some families had REALLY gone to town…

Is this you? Hello!

We didn’t do fish extender gifts (I didn’t want to buy OR get tat) - but we DID participate in a postcard exchange (arranged by an American lady on the Dis). This was SO MUCH FUN for Poot. About fifteen different families/cabins participated - and we all left postcards of our hometowns in the staterooms of the others on the list. We ended up with postcards of Munich, Philadelphia, Boston - and a very special snap of the Newport Transporter Bridge, from Welsh Dibber gismo1554.

As some of you may know, Poot wants to be a volcanologist - and he was also the lucky recipient of a Herculaneum postcard (as well as some adorable DLP bits) from Dibbers Gill and Peter H - who had been on the Magic just the week before.

We had a stateroom with a balcony (because...escape…) on Deck 7 - and it was plenty big enough for the two of us. I think three would have felt like a squeeze, though…

Balcony snaps:

(Our) Stateroom 7036, back when the bed scarf was red:

We LOVED the split bathroom. I know they’re more and more common these days, but it’s still a genius idea:

Characters

Poot is getting to the age where he doesn’t really want to queue to meet characters, but he’s still willing to do it - for me. And he did enjoy taking SELFIES with them.

I loved this Captain America, he was really in (1940’s) character - but told us that had recently “learned about selfies”.

What I liked best about the characters on the cruise were all the unique costumes -

(I think Poot is saying “Arr” here)

- and the fact that some more “rare characters” were out and about…

...Poot and the “Thugs” are pretending to be volcanoes in this one:

We’ve never seen The Goofy Movie, but it seemed like Max was the favourite of many -

- the queues to meet him were L-O-N-G.

We booked ahead for the Frozen M&G - and the Princess Gathering as well. Olaf AUTOGRAPHS (well, he draws a self-portrait) on the cruise ships - and Poot was happy to add some snowman art to his autograph collection.

He also tried to see how many chins he could give himself by tucking in his chin and then shooting the selfies from below…

Oh - I was so cross when I saw these photos! BOYS!

Now let’s talk FOOD…

It was good fun rotating through the three different restaurants. And the food was better than I expected (though there were a few times it *could* have been hotter). Poot liked the pasta choices best…

...but I especially enjoyed the soups. We neither of us had a meal where we ordered a dish from every course; it was just too much food. For ME, especially on sea days (when there was less exercise to be had) - I tried to be a little bit more careful. It would be all too easy to gain weight on a cruise this long - no matter how many times one took the stairs...

As to the restaurants themselves…

How cool was it that the “show” in Animator’s Palate was different every time. Best (of course) was the night when our own “art” came to life on the walls of the restaurant...

My character is Miss Flower; Poot’s is Mr. Spore. Can you spot them?

Yes, I know - I won’t give up my day job.

Carioca’s…

...had a masculine (sort of) flair to it that I liked; I’m still not sure how I feel about it being turned into a Rapunzel-themed restaurant.

And Lumiere’s…

...was pretty, too (though it was probably my least favourite, in terms of “feel”).

We did have some awkwardness at the first dinner. I had specifically requested a table for two. Now I know they say that not many small tables are available - but we had the second seating, and there were ALWAYS a goodly few empty tables - even on that first night.

Having said that, we were taken to a table with two other families - where all of the children were either “at the kids’ club, it’s better for everyone that way” () - or playing with phones/tablets. And that really was not the dinner environment I wanted to have for ELEVEN NIGHTS. So I stayed standing (as Poot, next to me, slowly went scarlet) - and asked the waiter if we could possibly have that smaller table that I requested.

This was no problem, though the head waiter (actually a waitress) did have to come to sort it out.

Our waiters (one was Thai, one was Peruvian) were incredibly solicitous - and I know this is how Disney trains them to be. BUT...(please don’t yell at me) I think I found it all a bit too much. I don’t need or want to be “checked on” every two minutes. On our sixth or seventh night on board we got talking with the lovely Arkansan couple sitting next to us - and the lady said to me, “Sometimes I just want to go to Cabanas (the buffet) so that I don’t have to talk so much to the waiters. I just want them to leave us alone!”

Speaking of Cabanas, Poot certainly enjoyed our visits THERE...as it was rich in amusing signs and typos:

This seems as good a place as any to put in all the rest of his cruise typos…

And this one was MY particular favourite - Ponta Delgada...where the world goes…

...TROUGH. Poot decided we should start using the phrase “it went trough” to describe things that went wrong.

But back to the Arkansans - we had such a terrific conversation with them on the night we bonded over too-solicitous waiters - and we ended up eating dinner with them for the rest of the cruise. I know this made Poot feel very grown-up indeed. What kind and generous-spirited people. SO MUCH BETTER than having dinner with empty chairs and beeping tablets!

Oh - and if you were the English couple (staying at the Library Hotel after the cruise) who made a point of complimenting Poot on his table manners and conversation - THANK YOU. I don’t ask people if they’re Dibbers anymore (not after the whole VD Face incident) - but just in case, thanks.

Special Events:

This cruise had both Frozen Night and Pirate Night, in addition to formal and semi-formal evenings. Frozen night was a bit of a bust for us (we’re not really Frozen fans), but Poot especially enjoyed Pirate Night.

The fireworks were "pretty cool, Mother" -

- and then he was asked to go up on stage and dance with some other lads. I couldn’t get very close - but perhaps you can see his homemade red pirate hat…

...it was too funny, later that night he asked me about the “Pirate music”.

Me: “What Pirate music?”
Poot: “Well, wasn’t one of the songs by a guy called Justin Timberleg? Isn’t he a pirate?”
Me: “Oh, Poot - please tell me you didn’t say that to the other chaps at the party!”

We don’t do pop music at our house. Can you tell?

APPARENTLY one of the cruise staff asked all the dancing lads if they liked Justin Timberlake - because they danced to a song of his...I must confess, I had to look the song up later - it was about sunshine in his pockets. Lol...my pop music days ended a LONG TIME AGO. And R.C.’s ended with Elvis.

We did have a not-so-high on the night of the “Snuggly Duckling Takeover” of O’Gills (the “Irish” pub). We went straight there at the time shown on the Navigator - but despite the fact that we went to the “family” takeover (the later one was adults only) the entire bar was full of adults holding tables. Not a spot to be had.

But here are a couple of snaps from formal night -

- and BOY you can really see how grey my hair is.

A few months ago I decided to stop colouring it (for like the fifth time - but this go 'round I've stuck with it). Are there ladies out there who might have any suggestions on something to make grey hair feel/appear a bit thicker?

Because the colour itself doesn’t really bother me (except for the time a woman at the Folkestone Premier Inn called me Poot’s NAN!) - but my parting looks like you could drive an articulated lorry down it. Oh, dear.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List