View Single Post
Old 16 Feb 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I have done similar myself and been to all these places.

Hilton Head is very nice.

St Simons is pretty nice, not as nice as HHI.

I have a good condo location in St Simons if you want it. I would if I were you though probably just stay on HHI- I rented a house on Palmetto Dunes. HHI is one of the nicest places i have ever been and intend returning to the Disney hotel there soon. From HHI you can do a day trip to Savannah or Charleston. When I was at St Simon's we went to Savannah for the day also. St Simon's is not as spick and span as HHI, there is Jekyll next door. The mainland over from St Simon's is not all that. However, don't let me put you off by any means as St Simons is still nice.

San Destin- Fort Walton area is better than Destin itself. I rented a nice house there, bungalow in San Destin with a golf cart. In fact I am renting a house this summer for 4 nights down on the 30A.

I would recommend DollyWood very nice- it is a bit of a drive from Gatlinburg, but not too bad. I stayed nearer Pigeon Forge in a cabin.

You will definitely have an excellent time- this general route (I did it a bit of a different way but basically visited the same places) is one of my favourite all-time holidays.
Thanks YT, you have been a great help!

After reading Amanda's report, we have now booked a 1 night stay on Jekyll Island so I can visit Driftwood Beach. After finding out one round of golf is nearly $500 at Sawgrass we have reduced our stay to just the 1 night.

I'm glad you liked HHI as I've read very mixed reviews. The condos I have shortlisted are actually within Palmetto Dunes so good to know it's nice there. Definitely planning some time in Savannah, will try and get to Charleston too

After your advice about Destin we have scrapped that area and have now found some very nice apartments literally on the 30A in the Santa Rosa beach area, I think it's called Gulf Place?

Looking forward to Dollywood, I think the kids will love the coasters while I can hold the bags watching some country music shows

We really hope we have a great time, it's got to do some beating of last years holiday

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List