View Single Post
Old 20 Sep 20, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

First of all, I am so sorry to hear this, it must be really frightening.
Last month my friends Jack Russell (which was on a lead) was killed by a greyhound that was off the lead .
The dog just ran for her, they had their one year old grandson with them in a pushchair so her DH tried to get in the middle but there was no way this dog was going to let go. I won't go into detail but my friend said it was horrific to watch.
To cut a long story short, the police were called and apparently the dog was a rescue and the owner was told that the dog should have been on a lead and muzzled when out
The police were just going to issue a caution to this woman for not controlling her animal but the sergeant was a dog lover so they have pushed for it to go to court because this animal is clearly a danger (I know we often blame the dog but the owner should be more responsible, awful woman).
The owner hasn't shown any remorse, not even offered an apology, and my friend is absolutely devastated to have lost her lovely dog in such a horrific way. She is on sleeping tablets as all she can see when she shuts her eyes at night, is her dog being murdered. It should be going to court later this month I think.
So my advice to you, is to absolutely do everything you can to get some justice for your dog. There seem to be more and more irresponsible dog owners and, as a dog owner myself, I now find dog walking is not the relaxing thing that it used to be (my Jack Russell was attacked by a rottweiler who was off lead (mine was on his lead) but luckily, he saw him off).
It seems that different police forces treat this matter in different ways, so don't give up if your force are not that proactive, maybe get your MP involved too.
Incidentally, they do not see my friend as the victim, even though she lost her dog so violently and is now a changed person, but her DH is the victim as he was bitten on the finger during the attack. He has been contacted by victim support and is getting all sorts of help.
So I wish you all the best and I hope your dog makes a speedy recovery x
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List