View Single Post
Old 25 Jun 15, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
66Caunce
Excited about Disney

I've updated the first post to include the answers to these questions.

Originally Posted by MissJRabbit View Post
Thanks for this Will hopefully be able to save some money using Uber.

Are the drivers safe?
The drivers are as safe as getting into a taxi with someone you don't know. 95% of our drivers were fantastic - extremely friendly, knowledgeable, chatty and loved the fact we were British and using Uber. The other 5% were just a bit odd in the same way you get odd taxi drivers. We had one guy who made inappropriate comments about scantily-clad women we passed on the sidewalk (I doubt he'd do it with a woman in the car but as we were two guys he probably assumed we'd enjoy it!), one guy who had a beat up old car full of junk food wrappers (he'd come out as Uber had raised prices for an hour or so - a lot of drivers only bother Ubering when prices are raised) and one guy who was annoyed his previous passengers hadn't tipped him to the point we felt a little intimidated to tip. But all of these could happen in a normal cab and, like I say, the majority were fantastic. We had very quiet foreigners, chatty black dudes (mainly!) and even the odd woman driver. Sometimes, by chance, you'll get the same driver you've had on a previous day, too.

The fact you rate the drivers out of five stars when you've completed your journey means, if they do something naughty, they could lose their job. All star ratings and comments are monitored by Uber. I would argue this is safer than getting into a taxi. How many taxis have you got into where you've not known the name of the driver and the make, model and registration of the car? Every single taxi I've ever taken, for me! With Uber, you get all that information. Plus, you can track your journey on the app - the little Uber car shows where you are, gives an ETA and you can watch yourself on screen moving towards your destination. We often joked that if we were taken off track somewhere, we could see that and discreetly dial 911 for help! Obviously this never happened and, again, if we were in a normal taxi, we'd never know if we were going the right way or not.

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Okay, stupid question alert! I take it that you need wifi or data to use the Uber app? Not sure if we'll have access to wifi everywhere we will be and don't want to run up large bills by using data. How did you get around this?
There aren't any stupid questions! I've tried to make the guide as simple yet informative as possible but there will be things I've missed, like this.

You do need wifi or data, yes. We used a 3 Feel At Home PAYG SIM card. We ordered it online for free, and when it arrived topped it up with £15. We then logged in to our account online and bought the Feel At Home bundle for £15. This gives you 25GB data, more than enough to leave it on for a month and not exceed the limit. Even if you did, as it's PAYG, you'd simply be cut off until you topped up again. Our £15 lasted the full two weeks and we still have £10 on it!

I had just finished one contract before we went out so ordered a new phone and used my old contract phone as our USA phone. If you're already with 3 on a contract, log in to your account online and select the International thingy to make your phone a Feel At Home one. You'll get the same as PAYG without having to pay the £15.

Data signal was brilliant everywhere, we were never stranded, except on one occasion at Old Key West where the data signal was terrible. We still managed to get an Uber to pick us up with some perseverance.
September 2017 - Port Orleans Riverside/Grand/St Pete's/Disney Cruise

September 2019 - AKL + Off-site

Edited at 11:27 AM.
66Caunce is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List